Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Web/Http Protocol vs Web Services (SOAP)

Guys, I need your expert opinion on this, kindly enlighten me:

We have a Java web system that is subject for performance testing, I was able to create scripts for both HTTP and Web Services protocol but I am torn which protocol is best suited for the test. The goal is to check the response time when we do Save, Update and Delete the data.

As reference, below are important concerns that I have for each protocol:

1. WEB/HTTP - Password encryption is a pain in the a**, we need to call a javascript and then configure some of the properties file in the server to disable the random nonce.

2. Web Services (SOAP) - I like the idea that it can address the password encryption via username token, but this is my first time to use this protocol so I don't know what are the advantages and disadvantages over WEB protocol.

Let me know what you think! TIA!

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Web/Http Protocol vs Web Services (SOAP)

Hi Tirador, 

in my personal experience, I usually use the web_custom_request() function of Web HTTP-HTML protocol for record a web service, so I can handle the request in an easy way to put parameters or manage some complex requests (for example, if a part of the body changes for some users and some other parts remain fix; manage dynamic key session values; JSON type contents; ecc.).

Instead, I use Web Service protocol when I can't record my request with other solution due system issues such as security policies; also this protocol can help you to build in a simple way the recall function: in fact you have just to pointed the URL and load the request (in form of an ".txt" or ".xml" file) from the option "Manage Services -> Import" or "Import SOAP". 

To sum up, you can use: 

1) Web HTTP-HTML protocol to handle particulat contents of your requests;

2) Web Service protocol if your request some security features, that aren't supported by web_custom_request() function. 

Hope I've been helpful

Lorenzo

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.