Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

When does the Step Download Timeout counter start

We are experiencing an issue where transaction response times are higher than the Step Download Timeout settings.  We are not using WinInet.

1. User starts request - HTTP-request connect timeout (120 sec)
2. User finishes request
3. System starts executing
4. System starts response - [steps 2-4 is considered Time to First Buffer]
5. Response complete - HTTP-request receive timeout (120 sec) 

My question is where does Step Download Timeout (120 sec) come into play in the above sequence?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: When does the Step Download Timeout counter start

Step download timeout is a time limit within which an entire script function should complete, or else the function will fail. By default, timeout is 120 seconds. 

Thank you,
NaveenKumar Namachivayam | www.QAInsights.com
Learn TruWeb - my Udemy Course "Performance Testing using TruWeb" | https://www.udemy.com/performance-testing-using-truweb/?couponCode=YOUTUBE
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

For a request if you dont get the response within 120 seconds then you will get this time out error.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Your answer was not clear in relation to my question.  I understand the definition of the time limit, however I was trying to determine when does the timer start.  I'm thinking that the Step Download Timeout starts the count down AFTER the User finishes the request (i.e. connection time is not included in step download timeout, however receive time is included).  Please let me know if I'm correct? 

The reason I'm asking this is because we've seen a test where the Step download Timeout is 120 seconds, however we are seeing transaction response times of 1000 seconds and I'm not clear as to how that can happen unless the request time (connection + network) is +880 seconds. 
(PS - we are not using WinInet)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

The reason I'm asking this is because we've seen a test where the Step download Timeout is 120 seconds, however we are seeing transaction response times of 1000 seconds and I'm not clear as to how that can happen unless the request time (connection + network) is +880 seconds 

My question : You got response time of 1000 seconds when you setup step download time out 120 seconds in one test? Can you clarify please?

Regarding the steps you mentioned : In brief your 1-5 steps are request to the server and response from server and btw Is this the Webservice request? 

Please clarify more on the above quesitons.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

My question : You got response time of 1000 seconds when you setup step download time out 120 seconds in one test? Can you clarify please?

>> Yes - we had the step download timeout set to 120 sec.  However the tranaction response times in the Analysis graphs showed response times +300 seconds up to a 1000 seconds. 

Regarding the steps you mentioned : In brief your 1-5 steps are request to the server and response from server and btw Is this the Webservice request?

>> Yes I was trying to just descript a simple user step to Login.  When the user clicks the Login button a series of TCP Client/Server communication is started.  But in lamest terms when the virtual users submits the Login html the 5 steps occur:
1. establish connection
2. request headers & body are sent (i.e. completing the client request to the server)
3. backend system starts executing based on the request made above
4. backend system starts to respond to the request (this is often consider the marking point for First Buffer time)
5. backend system completes the response

For #1 above is applicable to LR's HTTP-request connect timeout setting.
When does LR's HTTP-request receive timeout setting's count down start and end in the steps above?
When does LR's Step Download Timeout setting's countdown start and end in the steps above?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.