Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Windows monitor in controller

Hi All,

I am trying to add windows resource monitor in controller. But Controller and servers aren't in same workgroup. I am finding possibliteies with MoFW and MI Listener.

I have access to run perfmon on Appservers. Below is the setup for me to connect to appserver from Controller machine.

First I connect to an intermediate machine from Controller machine and from the intermediate machine I connect with Appserver using rdp connection.

Controller machine is in workgroup1 and Intermediate in Wrkgro2 and Appserver is Wrkgrp3

Please help me in finding the correct approach.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Windows monitor in controller

Hi,

First please double check if you can access the machine to be monitored using perfmon from the Controller machine. If it is doable using perfmon (with appropriate Windows account) then it should be possible also using Controller.

if it is not doable I suggest reading this online help page. You have all the information required there.

Basically the monitor over FW agent should be located where the access to the monitored server is available. 

The MI Listener should be recognizable by Controller. The monitor over FW agent should be able to push data to the MI Listener.

When you define the Monitor over FW in Controller and connect to it, the Controller connects to the MI Listener and collects data reported by the monitor over FW agent. 

Regards,

Shlomi

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks for replying Shlomi.

I can't access Appserver from controller machine.

MoFW isn't straight forward thing. Any idea what to after step 6. Check Connectivity i,e after connecting the MoFw with MIListerner and MIListenre to Controller. How can I see the Monitors in controller.

Regards,

Vinay

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Vinay,

Right it is not straigth forward mainly since you might need to involve IT the outgoing connectivity from the MoFW agent to the MI Listener is enabled.

In order to test the connection you need:

1. To define a newwork profile that connects to the MI Listener from the Network Profile Manager which is available from the tools menu

2. Add the MoFW Agent as a Load Generator in the Load Generators window. 

3. Select the network profile which is associated with the MI Listener in the Connection tab and enable monitoring over firewall checkbox

4. Connect to the MoFW just like you connect to a Load Generator

5. Follow the error window and graphs in the run tab. If the connection is successful you are supposed to start receiving monitor data (assuming you configured monitors in the agent). If the connection failed you will see an error message

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks Shlomi,

Now it's clear how MoFW will add up in controller.

I have a new challenge which I should have tried before. I am not able to moniotr appserver from the intermediate server. Please let me  know the least requirement to add monitor like servicses running, network discovery

I have access to run perfmon on both appserver and intermediate server.

I can connect to appsever from intermediate server via remote desktop connection while doing ping host is discoverable but ping is disabled   on appserver. Through  netstat I came to know that Intermediate servers port no 1031 is connected  with  ms-wbt-server   port of Appserver.

Usrs Id/password on both the systems are same but the domain is different, both are local account on corresponding system like wrkgrp1\usernameHP  and wrkgrp2\usernameHP.

WMI Performance Adapter is  not running on system and I don't have access to start it either, not sure if this need to be started.

I am not able to add appserver counters in perfmon of intermediate server. Please advice what help I should seek  to IT team. 

Please let me know if any clariffication needed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

This is a Windows permission issue which needs to be addressed by the IT administrators in your organization.

I Googled it for you and got many interesting results that may be of help. Here is one for example.

Another Google search with another result example

it will be good if you can locate the MoFW agent on a machine that does have perfmon connection to the monitored server.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks again Shlomi,

I should have checked this  here http://lrhelp.saas.hpe.com/en/12.53/help/WebHelp/Content/Controller/c_windows_resource.htm.

But there is  new  twist we aren't suppose to install  anything on intermediate server!!

Now please help How can  I  add cross-domain monitor. Remove   the intermediated box  from picture.

Regards,

Vinay

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

lmao 🙂

You must install something somewhere. If it is not the intermediated box you need to install it elsewhere where you do have access to the monitored servers. There is no way around it, unless the application developers can expose these metrics in the application in some system health page and then you can capture the data using LoadRunner script from there.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.