Highlighted
Member.

exact measurement starting point transaction

I want to know at what point LR starts with the measurement.

For example, when i have a script with someting like 'open chrome, open url'. Does the timing starts when the broswer is being started or when the scripts enters the url?

I hope i explained it well, have to work on my English 🙂

Thanks!

Danny

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: exact measurement starting point transaction

First of all, it will depend on what protocol you are using to record your test. If you use HTTP/HTML protocol, no real browser will be open on execution because the script will be based on HTTP requests and responses only.

On the other hand, if you use Truclient protocol, a real browser will be instantiated, consuming more resources and time.

Anyway, you are free to surround your desired set of actions with the lr_start_transaction and lr_end_transaction sentences, so you can measure the exact portion of the script relevant to you. Take a look at https://admhelp.microfocus.com/lr/en/2020/help/WebHelp/Content/VuGen/107000_t_how_to_insert_transactions.htm

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Thank you!

My clients question is more about this part of your answer:

''On the other hand, if you use Truclient protocol, a real browser will be instantiated, consuming more resources and time.''

Wil the transaction time starts measuring before openening the browser? of if the browser is openen en the entering of the url starts?

Thanks!

Danny

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @dmaas254,

The transaction time never starts measuring before opening the browser. Transaction only measures time of steps, while steps get executed after browser is opened.

TruClient uses transactions to measure time of steps. Transaction is introduced here. A transaction surrounds one or more steps.

In Transaction editor section, you can see in the "Transaction Editor" dialog, user can set Start Point and End Point of a transaction. Both of them are bound to steps. Specifically, for transaction start point, by default, it starts when "Step started" of the selected step. With "Step started" selected, for examples, if a navigation step is selected, transaction starts near user clicking Enter key after entering URL; while if a click on hyperlink step is selected, transaction starts near user clicking the hyperlink.

In Transaction editor dialog, user can also select start point other than "Step started", but usually it's not recommended. "Step started" is the suggested and most used step start point.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

you!

All clear now!

Danny

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.