Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

loadrunner 12.53 cpu on load generator exceeding 80% with 1 user

Hello,

I have 2 variety of HTTP/HTML scripts recorded using Chrome broswer on LR 12.53.0.0 version.  The same LR host is used as both controller and agent.

One version of scripts runs well with upto 40 users. However, the other one replays fine and runs with 1 vuser though CPU exceeding 80% error starts poping as soon as user 2 comes in and gradually transactions start failing. With one user, I can see mmdrv process consuming CPU and CPU peaks above 90% but it doesn't throw the error.

Have done the following validations already:

Admin rights on machine - Yes, components started using "Run as administrator"

Use Web/Http protocol against Truclient – Using Http/html

Run virtual users as threads not process – being run as thread

Logging turned off – turned off

Disable or reduce pacing and think time – turned off

Any mismatch between patch versions – All LR components are at 12.53.0.0

Disable Antivirus - done

Also, compared the runtime settings between the 2 scripts but nothing obvious stands out.

Any pointers/resolution would help.

Thanks,

Poonam

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: loadrunner 12.53 cpu on load generator exceeding 80% with 1 user

Hi

just to verify I understood correctly - the difference in behaviour is between the 2 scripts, correct?

one runs fine while the other increases the CPU to 90%?

you are running 2 scenarios - each with a different script and this is when you see the behavior?

can you share the 2 scripts? when running with extended logging on each script, do you see any error messages in the log files?

what is the difference in business logic between the 2 scripts?

Have you tried installing patch 4 and check if it helps?

Thanks,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Hello Lior,

Thanks for your response. Yes I am able to successfully run Script 1 with more than 40 users.

I see CPU exceeding error for Script 2, even when run in isolation.  Only difference between the 2 scripts is that they are recorded for 2 different journeys using separate URLs and Script 2 has a lot more correlation than Script1 . 

Script 1 size - 60 MB   Script 2 size - 104 MB, if it makes any difference.

I will not be able to share the scripts, sorry.Have only seen the CPU exceeded error and transaction failure with HTTP 500.

How will Patch 4 help?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Louis,

Thank you for clarifying 🙂

size of script is a factor, as well as the fact that each script is running Vs a different application.

Your indication that the "problematic" script has more correlations also indicate that there are alot more dynamic values generated each iteration.

first question - the error 500 you are seeing. can you eliminate that call from the script and see if it runs better without it?

if that helps, you have your "culprit" 🙂 . if not, my suggestions are as follows:

• Try to record the "problematic" application with a new script and a very simple business logic; i.e. login (Assuming that there is a login process), one click somewhere in the application and logout
  • Run this script with 40 users and see if you run into the same phenomena
  • Assuming you did not run into an error 500, start adding actions gradually until you find the problematic area

I'm sorry I can't assist more but without analysis of the scripts, this is the way I would proceed.

Hope this helps,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Hello again,

I recorded a simple CC script with Login -> Click on a button -> Logout. Point to be noted that loading application Home page as well as Login in general takes long (about 10 secs).

When run this script with 2 users, LR CPU shoots up to 90% and throws the CPU exceeded error.  With whole business journey script as well its seen that when vusers iterate through first few transactions (home page loading, login and staring business process), the CPU spikes and errors. CPU settles below 30% for remainder of transactions.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

According to what you're describing, it looks like something in the application is "not playing nice" with LoadRunner.

My suggestion is to open a support case so that deeper investigation can be performed.

Good Luck,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

I am using 12.53 community version. Unable to download any patches. Really keen on trying patch 4.

How can I download and try it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Louis,

for patch for you will need an active account within the software support site of HPE.

that is the only way to get it.

Thanks,

Lior

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.