Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

mmdrv.exe failing vusers during execution - too much web_reg_save_param()??

Hi folks,

We have a complex web application with heavy parameterisation. We are trying a semi-automated recording/script-generation approach which creates many web_reg_save_param() calls. We are progressing, but when we execute our test in controller we see some virtual users die off with "LoadRunner has stopped working" popups & Event Log messages like "Faulting application name: mmdrv.exe, version: 12.55.639.0,...". We are wondering if all of this new parameterisation is responsible (the application can be scripted successfully with less, but is time consuming). 

So is there some kind of soft-limit to the number of dynamic parameters we can have? Or is it likely to cause some kind of memory violation/overflow as a secondary impact? Some of the parameters are very large, but most are not.

Any info welcomed.

Steve

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible for you to share all the details of message "Faulting application name: mmdrv.exe, version: 12.55.639.0,..." in event viewer log?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for responding.

I am actually posting for a colleague who is currently offline, but here is one I extracted - I will verify it is the same as current issue when colleague is available:

Faulting application name: mmdrv.exe, version: 12.55.639.0, time stamp: 0x5972ace6
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.2969, time stamp: 0x5ccd12bb
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000d9741
Faulting process id: 0x1a6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d56cedf672e6fd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\HPE\LoadRunner\bin\mmdrv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 12a11161-bfc7-4321-b535-bd0855e8e013
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Update - I can confirm the code & offset are consistent between failures. Things like timestamps vary, obviously.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

This may not be due to LoadRunner but with the system you are running the script. What is the OS version you are using? Worth trying to rerun the script in another machine.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

The error Exception code: 0xc0000374 indicates Heap Corruption.

I'm not sure if wrong handling of dynamic memory locations (malloc/free etc), or buffer overruns in your script can result in this type of error. I would focus on this type of issues in your script.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for response. My reasoning is that maybe there is some limit to the number of dynamic parameters or the amount of memory they consume in mmdrv & that in exceeding such limits our script is triggering the mmdrv failure.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Well, it is an mmdrv.exe failure... It has been happening for best part of a year & across various servers (all Windows, admittedly). When we reduce the amount of parameterisation the script runs fine. This is the only smoking-gun I have atm... Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You might monitor the mmdrv.exe process with e.g Windows Performance Monitoring (take all process counters) and see if you get a clue.

It is also possible to tune the number of threads (vusers) that one mmdrv.exe will drive. That might help as well.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.