Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

web_set_user function for parametrization

Jump to solution

All,

I have a couple of question in regard to web_set_user function.

Based on the definition,

int web_set_user( const char *username, const char *password, const char *[realm\\]host:port )

Currently I have following:

web_set_user("abc.net\\mellis", lr_decrypt("12afdf3453adfs8665adfasdf"), "abc2.abc.com:443);

My question is can it be parameterized although I do not have exact number of usernames and passwords?

OR

Does it defeat the purpose of parameterization? (since usernames and passwords are unknown).

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: web_set_user function for parametrization

Jump to solution

Never do extra work if it is not needed. If one user is sufficient for your testing just don't touch the code.

But if you state "web applicaton is functioning correctly" that looks more to a functional approach only, this should then include some functional-concurrency (accessing same item on the same moment, or multiple users try to buy the last item on stock etc).

But you also state: "The goal is to measure the availability and performance of the traffic", that is resource oriented. You have than also validate how data is transmitted (not a LR task), but you might use HttpWatch for that and check all the errors/warnings this took shows you on bad design/implementation/deployment.

Looks like you will have fun the comming months.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

You need to have the values of a parameter set before web_set_user() is called if you want to put parameters in that function.

But what do you mean with "although I do not have exact number of usernames and passwords"?

- Do you not know how much concurrent users your script will run?

Then it depents on the use case: e.g. does each user has to be unique during a load test? etc.

Signature:
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Remmelzwaal,

Correct me if I am wrong here:

Since I do not have the values of a parameter set, it's not appropriate to use the parametrization. Is that an fair assumption based on your reponse?

My use case at the moment is to test if web applicaton is functioning correctly without issues within intranet. This being said, many people are going to access this application in PROD. However, I do not know how many concurrent users will access it.

The goal is to measure the availability and performance of the traffic, not necessarily trying to break the application by allowing thousands of users concurrently.

Does this give you a better picture of what I am going through/be doing?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Never do extra work if it is not needed. If one user is sufficient for your testing just don't touch the code.

But if you state "web applicaton is functioning correctly" that looks more to a functional approach only, this should then include some functional-concurrency (accessing same item on the same moment, or multiple users try to buy the last item on stock etc).

But you also state: "The goal is to measure the availability and performance of the traffic", that is resource oriented. You have than also validate how data is transmitted (not a LR task), but you might use HttpWatch for that and check all the errors/warnings this took shows you on bad design/implementation/deployment.

Looks like you will have fun the comming months.

Signature:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.