Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

wlrun.exe ghost process cannot be terminated

Hi,

I am about to start a new role and doing a POC as my role involves implementing a CI solution.  I'm evaluating the new 12.55 and see the attached screenshot error.  I've seen this in 12.53 with latest patches as well but a dirty fix is to just reboot the PC.  I'm intending on using LR for their CI solution and it will involve launching tests via the CLI.  I was never bothered in the past but am now because this is a definite show stopper.

Having the rogue process hanging about doesn't stop the controller from working.  It will still fireup another process as per the second screenshot.  

However, I have a check to first see if the process is running and it will abort the run if the process is found. I need that check in there because if someone else is genuinely running a test, and I kill the process, their results become corrupted and worthless.

I don't have a support account at the moment as I haven't started the role, nor have they yet purchased any licenses.  Again, this is purely POC.

Cheers,
John

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: wlrun.exe ghost process cannot be terminated

Ooos, CLI:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\HPE\LoadRunner\bin\Wlrun.exe" -Run -TestPath "C:\CI_LoadRunner_Tests\20171002_104433_BigScenario.lrs" -ResultName "C:\CI_LoadRunner_Tests\Results\Blah1"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Hello,

I am also facing the same issue, and I am using LR 12.53 patch-4.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi mate,

Hmmm, looks like I'm not alone.  Thanks for sharing your experience of this as well.

Support people:  see attached the latest and not so greatest.  LR 12.53 clean install without patches (pretty sure this doesn't make a difference).   To rule out my .Net code that launches the scenario, I simply created a batch file that runs the command 100 times; or at least tries to.

I've seen assertion errors in the past but the memory reference is a new one for me.  This appears to also cause a ghost process to remain open.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

Trying to understand: are you trying to run Controller from command line on the same machine where others might run their test?

best practice is to have a dedicated machine for CI test and a dedicated machine for "regular" tests.

2 wlrun.exe processes may behave as you are seeing.

Hope this helps,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Lior,

Yes, that's the scenario.  I agree with what you're saying and you're right but it's not to say that it couldn't happen.  It's something that just crept up when I tried running my own application using the CLI for wlrun.exe

It's still a bug and if you look at my last post on this thread, running a batch file with only a single person on the machine threw a memory error and left a 2 ghost proceess and that's only because I stopped it.  Is supect there would have been many more had I had left it run.

I could argue that having multiple wlrun.exe is effectively leaking memory and making my machine that runs my performance tests less performanent.  Far fetched but it's true.  At the end of the day there's a coding error in LR that needs fixing.  How do I/you know that the memory error caused is my last post in this thread, is not caused because LR is trying to access a memory location that was generated by the ghost wlrun.exe process (i've also seen assertion errors as well when running batches of command line executions)?  If that was the case, then having multiple wlrun.exe processes is probably going to increase the probability of future memory conflicts?  Rebooting is a solution but not a very good one because if it was my dedicated CI machine that will handle 50 checkins and therefore 50 testruns a day, then rebooting will cause connection issue when my CI tool tries to connect to a machine that's down because it is being rebooted.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi John,

Point taken,

I will take this internally with R&D and hope to have a response to you in the coming days.

Thanks,

Lior

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thank you Lior, I appreciate your help with this.

Kind regards,

John

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.