Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
gladston Contributor.
Contributor.

How to find Protocol of an application?

Jump to solution

I want to do a POC on a new application, I am having difficulties with recording in Loadrunner. Since Protocol advisor is not available, how to find the protocol to use or any alternative for Protocol advisor?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Outstanding Contributor.. lb1 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: How to find Protocol of an application?

Jump to solution

Hi Gladston, 

what kind of application have you to test? A web browsing? A single or a series of web service calls? Based on application's type you can consider some strategies.

In case of a navigation (so a web interactivity) I suggest you to start with Web HTTP/HTML protocol because it's scalable and light from the point of view of load generators, so you can put much Vusers on each generators at the time of testing the script. Instead, TruClient protocol let you to interact directly with your application with a browser interface (embedded on the product) with wich you can simply navigate and record your own application flow. 

Web service: you can record one or more calls with Web HTTP/HTML protocol (there are some many customized function, web_custom_request or web_url for example) or in alternative you can load directly URL and request in a special form with Web Service protocol. In both cases, you can record SOAP or REST calls. 

Hope this can help you, 

Lorenzo 

3 Replies
Highlighted
JorgeDuran-PCLR Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

The best practice and the one that we recommend because give you more contro over your test and teaches you, is the record of the network traffic of your application, analyze the capture file and learn from it what technology is used. 

That will let you know what is the most sutable protocol to use for your test. 

Regards, 

0 Likes
gladston Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you JorgeDuran for your reply.

Is there any guide that I may refer to to determine the protocol with captured network traffic?

I tried to gothrough the captured network traffic but I find it difficult for me to determine the protocol. So, if I could get some guide or any tutorial then it would help me to a great extent.

-Vimal

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. lb1 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Gladston, 

what kind of application have you to test? A web browsing? A single or a series of web service calls? Based on application's type you can consider some strategies.

In case of a navigation (so a web interactivity) I suggest you to start with Web HTTP/HTML protocol because it's scalable and light from the point of view of load generators, so you can put much Vusers on each generators at the time of testing the script. Instead, TruClient protocol let you to interact directly with your application with a browser interface (embedded on the product) with wich you can simply navigate and record your own application flow. 

Web service: you can record one or more calls with Web HTTP/HTML protocol (there are some many customized function, web_custom_request or web_url for example) or in alternative you can load directly URL and request in a special form with Web Service protocol. In both cases, you can record SOAP or REST calls. 

Hope this can help you, 

Lorenzo 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.