Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. lb1 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

LR Agents: questions about mmdrv.exe and agents

Jump to solution

Hi all, 

I've some doubts about the two topic as title of this message. 

1) What's the function and the execution modality of mmdrv.exe process? Maybe is a sort of "support" for mdrv.exe when there're too many Vusers per thread during an execution?

2) How does the agent work when we run a TruClient script? I have run a TruClient-Firefox script, then I went to control the list of active processes on the load generator machine, 

Firefox_Details.JPGFirefox_Process.JPG

in which Mozilla Firefox isn't installed, but as you can see the Firefox process exists. Then I executed a TruClient-IE script, in the same machine in which IE is installed and below there's the processes's display, 

clipboard_image_0.png

How can we explain that? Maybe the Firefox version belongs to the agent service installed on the load generator machine?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Lorenzo

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Outstanding Contributor.. JHF Remmelzwaal Outstanding Contributor..

Re: LR Agents: questions about mmdrv.exe and agents

Jump to solution

Hi@lb1 

I'm using LR 12.63. In that version FF is replaced with TruClientBrowser (A custom build of FF, I think).

I think that you can use the search of explorer in C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\LoadRunner and locate firefox.exe.

If you want to explore the parent/child relationship between the programs, I suggest you use procexp.exe (Process Explorer) from www.sysinternals.com. It can show a tree of process relations.It will show also the full path and command line arguments (double click on the program to open properties).

Succes,

Erik

P.S.

procexp.exe and procmon.exe are extreme useful tools to explore process information on Windows.

Signature:
Reward community members who take time to respond and help.
8 Replies

Jump to solution

Depending on the FF version, you see one process or many processes (one per tab). I expect that LR is still using an old version that service all user, one per tab in one FF process.

It looks like for IE this is different, for each user one process.

When you change to Chrome you will see same number of processes as with IE.

The TC scripting is rather tricky and I expect that LR needs for each browser needs its own strategy.

Signature:

Jump to solution

Hi JHF, 

thank for the response. My doubt is about the origin of the process: in the load generator machine there isn't Firefox installed, so I wonder if the browser process belongs to the agent process; and if the test is made with IE, then the browser is opened with the browser IE installed on the machine. 

In a nutshell, how LR agent open a browser process? From itself (maybe Firefox) or it use the browser installed on the machine? And what is the TCWebIE_Launcher.exe? 

Thank you very much,

Lorenzo

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi@lb1 

I'm using LR 12.63. In that version FF is replaced with TruClientBrowser (A custom build of FF, I think).

I think that you can use the search of explorer in C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\LoadRunner and locate firefox.exe.

If you want to explore the parent/child relationship between the programs, I suggest you use procexp.exe (Process Explorer) from www.sysinternals.com. It can show a tree of process relations.It will show also the full path and command line arguments (double click on the program to open properties).

Succes,

Erik

P.S.

procexp.exe and procmon.exe are extreme useful tools to explore process information on Windows.

Signature:

Jump to solution

Hi JHF,

thanks again. So with Process Explorer I've seen that browser processes (Internet Explorer and Firefox) are created by mdrv.exe and not by the machine: my doubt was about the nature of the browser process, and now I resolve this thanks to your suggestion. 

processoFF.PNGprocessoIE.PNG

...have you some informations about mmdrv.exe process?

Lorenzo

Jump to solution

It looks like mmdrv.exe and mdrv.exe  are driver processes to run LR-scripts. Both require at least -usr parameter. I've no details about the differences between the two.

Signature:
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.. tpnichols Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Jump to solution

If I remember correctly (and I'm hoping I'm not repeating someone else's inaccurate opinion), the mmdrv was/is the multi-threaded version of mdrv.

The Agent is supposed to be how the controller communicates with a load generator. Once it's made a connection to that machine when starting a scenario execution, there was supposed to be no further use of it. At least that's what I was told in 1998.

I have yet to see how the behaviors may be/are different with TruClient. The Agent shouldn't behave any differently, but who knows what goes on with someone else's software unless you're watching it in a debugger?

Jump to solution

Thank you very much, Tpnichols. 

I will investigate about that watching the processes's tree in a load generator machine. 

Lorenzo

Jump to solution

So, I've tried to execute a TruClient script with 3 Vusers in both Internet Explorer and TruClient browser, and the results corroborates the @JHF Remmelzwaal suggestion, so browsers's nature is due to magentservice.exe and not from a program installed on the machine: 

clipboard_image_0.png

Then I tried to run a Web HTTP-HTML protocol script (Internet Explorer browser), always with 3 Vusers, changing the modality of Vuser, first as a process, then as a thread, and that's the result: 

clipboard_image_1.png

So as a thread we have an economy of system resources.

Thank you very much to @JHF Remmelzwaal and @tpnichols for the help. 

Lorenzo

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.