Pacerier Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The goal is to maximize speed/concurrency of Vuser scripts. Should I run Vuser as process or thread?

Dennis Handly wrote: 
These are related when you have a massive number of threads/processes.  If you use too much memory, you start paging.

My OS has paging disabled (, which means that all programs' memory are stored in real physical RAM).

Running vusers in processes does take up more memory, but I'm not concerned about memory usage (i.e. adding external RAM is free).

However, each load generator has only 4 real logical processors, yet, I'll definitely be running more than 4 vusers per load generator.

My goal is to maximize the speed/concurrency at which the vuser-scripts run.

As such, should I be selecting the "thread" option or the "process" option for runtime settings?

============================================
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
ericlianda
New Member.

Re: The goal is to maximize speed/concurrency of Vuser scripts. Should I run Vuser as process or thr

Running Vusers as a thread is more memorey efficient than running Vuser as a process for obvious reasons that less memory resources are utilized when we run them as a thread. However some say that running as a process has an advantage that system becomes more stable. Now how is that stability achieved?

Dennis Handly Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: The goal is to maximize speed/concurrency of Vuser scripts. Should I run Vuser as process or thr

>Now how is that stability achieved?

What does "stability" mean in this case?  It doesn't crash/abort?  Or predictable results?

For processes, it is separation of data.

Pacerier Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ericlianda wrote:

Running Vusers as a thread is more memorey efficient than running Vuser as a process for obvious reasons that...

The memory is already there, loads of it, totally free. I'm only interested in speed efficiency. 

Dennis Handly wrote:

What does "stability" mean in this case? 

For processes, it is separation of data.

A reasonable definition would be "behave as the user expected" which includes not crashing.

============================================
0 Likes
Dennis Handly Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

>The memory is already there, loads of it, totally free. I'm only interested in speed efficiency. 

How is this "free"?  How much RAM are you talking about?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Its prefer  to use Vuser as thread than process for memory and specially if you will load many Vuser for testing in controller  .

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.