AjitLal
New Member.

Want to simulate the Browser's Temporary Internet file settings value in LR script

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am working on web protocol on LR12 and created a script on application for which most of the activities of Application Launch and Login is handled at client side by implementing Java script. I have commented out the unwanted Java script requests in script and it working fine E2E.

After performing the load test, it has been found that the Avg. Response time values for Home Page Launch and Login is pretty high (> 25 sec).

Development team has suggested to increase the Browsers temporary internet files (Disk space ) from default 250 MB to 520 MB.

How can i simulate this setting in the script. Is there any available function which can help out?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AjitLal
New Member.

Re: Want to simulate the Browser's Temporary Internet file settings value in LR script

Jump to solution

Thanx Andrew.....

6 Replies
Andrew Nighting Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: Want to simulate the Browser's Temporary Internet file settings value in LR script

Jump to solution

I have not heard of any default setting where a browser would limit to 250MB for temp files.

What protocol(s) are used by the script? Is the slow login behavior only occurring in the script, or is it actually slow when accessing the application manually? If only in the script, is is slow in single-user execution, or does it degrade as load increases?

Additional details will be needed to be able to provide better input.

0 Likes
AjitLal
New Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Andrew,

I also haven't heard of simulating the such browser settings, that's why wanted to take this with experts like you guys.

We are using web protocol in the script. Following is the few additional behavior that you asked.

1)  When we recorded the script for the first time and enhanced it, despite 3-4 requests for content type text/html and few important JS, almost all request were JS, PNG and CSS content type. Replaying the script as it is were taking around 35 sec for login in Vugen for single user, while the manual reading on the browser for login was taking around 20 sec (even after cache clear) on httpwatch/fiddler.

I am puzzling why this is so? A lot of questions were being asked for this behavior. I checked with F12 developer tool while login manually, almost the same JS and CSS were there which was captured in script.

What would be the appropriate explanation for such behavior?

2) Then, i commented few JS (unwanted), all CSS and all PNG, and relapyed it successfully, this time it took around 19-21 sec, that is near abt. the manual reading.

3) When i put the commented script for load test with 1000 users, the response time of Login increased to 40 sec. The development team suggested to increase the temp. file size to 520 MB and on manual chekcing with single user we observed a significant improvement in Login response time. They are saying there is a minimal client-server traffic exchange for login and almost all the things are handled at cient side only.

The next challenge is since Loadrunner, works at middleware, Is it possible to simulate such setting and perform a load test? How should i check it?

Thanks,

Ajit

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

If you observe more javascript in recording than when comparing to manual execution with a tool like Fiddler running, perhaps examine those other javascript files with the developers to determine under what condition they might be fetched to the client side. It could even be something simple like browser-specific script with LoadRunner set to run generic browser emulation.

The javascript files are not actually going to execute on VuGen replay, but are only going to be downloaded as client-side resources (just as with an image file or style sheet file). The execution of the javascript while recording in VuGen should only capture if the client-side javascript makes server-side calls.

It sounds like you have commented out any javascript that does not get captured within Fiddler, and then saw response time similar to the response time observed by manually logging in. If that is the case, then you are likely on the right track. Beyond that, you can add individual transactions (or sub-transactions) for all calls to the server that occur during the logon process. That should give you a clear picture of where exactly the slowness resides.

Something like this:

lr_start_transaction("Login_00_Main");

lr_start_transaction("Login_00A_Post1");

some post

lr_end_transaction("Login_00A_Post1", LR_AUTO);

lr_start_transaction("Login_00B_Post2");

another post

lr_end_transaction("Login_00B_Post2, LR_AUTO");

lr_end_transaction("Login_00_Main, LR_AUTO");

AjitLal
New Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Andrew,

I haven't went ahead and tally the Fiddler captured JS with that captured in script. In script, i commneted,

1) All CS

2) All PNG

3) All JS except few on which we captured the correlations.

We found the script to be running fine and recording and replay page is consistent for text/html content request.

Is there any way to find out that whether JS after executing is sending something to server or executing just at the client side doing some client side operation. If we would know the way to identify this, it would be easy to take decision, which JS to be commented out.

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Of course, the easiest way is to have your developers provide you a list of JS that include logic to make server requests. If not possible, then if it were me I would first examine the comparison between JS downloaded by the script and what was captured with Fiddler. Then, I would review the JS content myself.

0 Likes
AjitLal
New Member.

Jump to solution

Thanx Andrew.....

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.