quantised Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Workflow from VuGen to Load runner

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,
I am new to performance testing using HP load runner. I have installed the VuGen 11.0 in my desktop. Now, do i connect with the Load runner to run the scripts i have recorded directly from my VuGen? We have the Load runner installed in a separate server. 

My understanding is that, we can record the scripts from our desktop and save them in the ALM, and then run the loads on Load generator using the scripts from HP ALM. Is this correct?

Can some one please let me know how the work flows from recording the script to running the loads and analysis from component to component.?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Shane_Evans Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Workflow from VuGen to Load runner

Jump to solution

Scripts are developed in VuGen, then stored either in your local or network filesystem or in ALM for version control and linking to a test case. I recommend reading the VuGen User guide for more information on scripting, correlation and how to manage your scripts.

Scripts are then loaded into the Controller, which is where you define your Scenarios; meaning the target load test. This Scenario can also be stored on a local or network filesystem, or in ALM, and will represent the application usage you wish to produce in order to predict production application behavior. I strongly recommend you read the Controller User Guide that ships with LoadRunner in order to achieve the results you are looking for here. Training is also very useful here, to avoid invalid test modelling.

During your test, you will want to set up monitors for each component of your application infrastructure. Web servers, application servers, databases, networking components, etc... These are configured within the Controller, or in SiteScope.

The Load Generators are what actually run the virtual users during a test, and can be located throughout your network. These can be workstations, but are most likely going to be dedicated servers.

Once your test is complete, you use the Analysis tool to see the results and determine where performance bottlenecks might exist. This is done by correlating the results from the virtual users with metrics collected from the application infrastructure, and by working with your application and infrastructure teams.

Again, training and the product documentation are very important to your success in this. I also recommend finding a mentor with experience in application performance engineering who can guide you based on your specific organizational needs.

Good luck!

Shane Evans

4 Replies
Highlighted
Shane_Evans Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Scripts are developed in VuGen, then stored either in your local or network filesystem or in ALM for version control and linking to a test case. I recommend reading the VuGen User guide for more information on scripting, correlation and how to manage your scripts.

Scripts are then loaded into the Controller, which is where you define your Scenarios; meaning the target load test. This Scenario can also be stored on a local or network filesystem, or in ALM, and will represent the application usage you wish to produce in order to predict production application behavior. I strongly recommend you read the Controller User Guide that ships with LoadRunner in order to achieve the results you are looking for here. Training is also very useful here, to avoid invalid test modelling.

During your test, you will want to set up monitors for each component of your application infrastructure. Web servers, application servers, databases, networking components, etc... These are configured within the Controller, or in SiteScope.

The Load Generators are what actually run the virtual users during a test, and can be located throughout your network. These can be workstations, but are most likely going to be dedicated servers.

Once your test is complete, you use the Analysis tool to see the results and determine where performance bottlenecks might exist. This is done by correlating the results from the virtual users with metrics collected from the application infrastructure, and by working with your application and infrastructure teams.

Again, training and the product documentation are very important to your success in this. I also recommend finding a mentor with experience in application performance engineering who can guide you based on your specific organizational needs.

Good luck!

Shane Evans

himanshu007 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Pls. let me know,Sir.  From path of this site, i can post my queries(to get quick response) regarding your valuable 'Load Runner' product? - Himanshu Mehta(Testing Team Lead)

0 Likes
himanshu007 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Pls. let me know,Sir. From path of this site, i can post my queries(to get quick response) regarding your valuable 'Load Runner' product? - Himanshu Mehta(Testing Team Lead)
0 Likes
JoseAlbert Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Mr dou you know where i can get HP Load runner courses in Mexico DF , i ma very interested in..

Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.