Ability to search and display dynamic group contexts

Ability to search and display dynamic group contexts

Since it appears that dynamic groups with contexts of:

configuration text cotnains 

will soon be removed  | discouraged due to performance impact (we have support case open, were told to change group recalculation to eliminate these groups), we would like to have an option to show what existing dynamic groups may be impacted.  

The other option would be to have script that would convert any dynamic group that uses this criteria over to contains full text.  

7 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Can you please provide more details with an example here? 

I didnt quite understand the following:   

"Since it appears that dynamic groups with contexts of:

configuration text cotnains 

will soon be removed " 

Is there a forum/call/support interaction in which you heard this? More details here would help us.

Chris_Powers Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, we have had issues with NA 10.x where dynamic groups do not recalculate as expected (i.e. they do not recalculate at all or intermittently).  We have been working with support on this for months.  The last suggestion was that this behavior was due to our dynamic groups having the criteria mentioned - config text contains "some value" as opposed to contains (full text).  The impression we got is that cotnains will be phased out as it is viewed as a  known performance issue.

So, the request here is to provide functionality so we can see what groups use config text contains.  We have hundreds of dynamic groups that dozens of users have created since this feature was added.  If it is to be removed (or in my opinion, even suggeted not to be used), then there should be a way to determine what groups this impacts.  

I would just say we could look and see what groups aren't getting updated, but since this is the underlying problem of bigger issue, that wouldn't be a reliable solution.  

Thanks,
Chris

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If and when we remove something like that, we'd migrate automatically likely to some other search.  But there has not been any decision to deprecate.  If there is still some remaining performance issue, let us know.  For now, I think this ER is premature based on something that hasn't been decided and hasn't occured.

Chris_Powers Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I wish this would filter to support and CPE so they wouldn't push this on clients (us) as we're really negatively impacted by this behavior.  

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I'll review the case and see what was discussed.  Thanks Chris

WayneGriswold Contributor.
Contributor.

Brian, 

We had a similar issue in 2014 with dynamic groups not completing dynamic group recalculation if they contained (config text).  The resolution included converting all of our dynamic groups from (config text) to (full text).  

We had an ER (QCCR1B127465) that made (full text) show as the top drop down and added a text message on the search page warning users to use the (full text) instead of the (config text). 

We used API script to identify which groups were using (config text) and which were using (full text). 

The conversion is not easily scriptable due to the differences in how wildcards are implemented in (full text) compared to (config text).

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and community support (votes/kudos)..

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.