Deploy configuration of one device to another device

Idea ID 2767693

Deploy configuration of one device to another device

It would be very usable and convenient to have an additional option to deploy the configuration of one device to another device.

Imagine another network, staging area. This network includes spare/backup devices. A device in a production environment fails.  Now you could copy the start-up configuration of the failed device to another device in the staging area (start-up configuration). Switch off the device, replace failed device with that one and boot it. Now you have the device up and running, exactly the same as a failed one. As far as I know, this is not possible to do it now.

It would be good to implement in GUI (let's say to have it "Deploy to running configuration", "Deploy to startup configuration", ... and "Deploy to another device") and API.

Another example is  Lifecycle replacements : where many Switches/devices are prepared to perform 1: 1 replacement.

In such a case it would be deployed the respective config to the switches in the staging area and it is only needed to pick up the device and physically replace it. 

At this moment, it needs to go extra rounds with device templates and copy/paste configs and then provision from the template.

We find this new option very useful in many environments, especially in big ones.

Tags (1)
7 Comments

+1

I agree with the description of the idea. I'd like to add the following to this:

the function should allow to decide, wether you want to reboot/reload the device after the Startup-config has been provisioned. The device should only reload on demand to ensure reachability (IP Change/VLAN/Subnets etc). (This is one issue with the deploy_config function that we have today)

Besides the great help during LifeCycle replacements:

If our Monitoring detects a device outage, we could automatically trigger to push the config to a spare-Switch right away and send a ticket to the respective support-Team with the note that a spare-Switch has already been provisioned and is ready for pickup.

That would really Speed up the process of restoring operations.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Already Offered

Dear Submitter.

You should be able to save the current configuration of a device and use that configuration for a newer device using:

Device Home Page -> Edit -> "Edit & Deploy Configuration"

Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Device Home Page -> Edit -> "Edit & Deploy Configuration" is what we are already doing as a solution or better to say as a “workaround”.

But, unfortunately, it is error-prone and it is also not 1st-level friendly.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

A more appropriate solution is to use device templates.  You can create a device template from an actual existing device by going to it's edit menu and selecting "save as new template."  This will create a new device template with the configuration and other things already populated.  Then for the new device, you can provision from this template, from the provision menu for the new device - provision device from template.  No copy/paste is required so removes the potential for error.

Feedback welcome.

Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

But, at this moment, it needs to go extra rounds with device templates and copy/paste configs and then provision from the template.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @ihulki 

I think you missed an important point.  From my post above there is no copy/paste required if you create the template literally from the source device's edit menu to "save as new template."  This will duplicate the configuration into the template.  The user does NOT have to copy/paste anything.

The save as device template option is not that helpful i think. Yet I dont see how I would be able to do that using the API. What would be the corresponding API Call?

Even if we are automating this by creating a new template as a first step, the problem there is, that the API does not return the templateID which you need for "mod device template config". NA allows to add several templates with the same "hostname". So you need an additional check to ensure you are grabing the right templateID from the "list devic template" command.

the "deploy config" would generally help if you had the option "startup" from the NA Shell and Perl API. Yet it does only accept "current" or "startup_reload". Option "startup" without reload seems to be only available from WebUI.

I think having the option form the config-view is easier and better to handle. Especially if you can use the requested function from all configurations (deploy any cfg from config-history).

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.