Have the ability to assign own device profiles manually from NNMi

Idea ID 1677345

Have the ability to assign own device profiles manually from NNMi

Customer would like to have the ability to assign their own device profiles to the nodes. For example, many of the new technologies run on a Linux environment and for the devices that do not create their own SNMP agent, the devices will all be seen as a Linux node when they really aren't.

This also causes more of an issue when integrating with UCMDB, as the CI device types are seen as a Linux server and not what the device really is. It would be very useful if the user has the ability to create their own device profile overwriting what NNMi does.

10 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: New Idea

Hi Luis.

NNM allows one to define a new device profile where you can define device Family/ Vendor/ Category/ Model etc based on SysObjectID reported by the device. Further, for most Linux SNMP Agents one can define a SysObjectID which should be reported. Given this, would it be a viable alternate that:

A. Define a new sysObjectID at Linux systems based on kind of service running on system. Please note that one can define their own sysObjectID and really do not have to be standard one from a vendor.

B. Define a device profile for sysObjectID

Once this in place, NNMi would assign the device profile as define and same would be sent to integrated products like UCMDB.

Please share your feedback.

Regards,

Akash

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi Akash,

Thanks for your comments.

I was discussing this case with Gilbert and we think the main issue is because it’s a generic Net-SNMP sysObjectID 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.10, main linux servers / appliances use these SNMP agents.

We might be wrong but once you define that OID all devices with that OID will have the same device profile. Since customers have many different Linux and appliance servers with that agent it would not be ideal.

Ideally the customer is looking to use another OID variable to properly identify the device Family/ Vendor/ Category/ Model.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

-Luis Restrepo

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Luis.

Maybe I was not clear in my last reply.

Net-SNMP agent on Linux systems allows one to change the sysObjectID from default 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.10 to a value of one's choice.  So, what I am suggesting is to define new sysObjectID(s) for various Linux system profiles you might have, change the same in snmpd.conf on Linux system and define device profile in NNMi for the same.

Regards,

Akash

Akash,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to check that approach with the customer and will let you know the results.

Regards,

Luis Restrepo

Hello Akash,

Hope you are doing great.

I reviewed this approach with the customer and they said that this workaround is useless because the don't want to modify devices to make the discovery work.

They still think there should be something changed in NNMi (code) to make this work. 

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Regards,

Luis Eduardo Restrepo

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Luis.

Sorry for delayed response.

If various Linux systems are running different services and reporting the same sysObjectID, unfortunately, there is no way for NNMi can characterize them differently.

Maybe you shall recheck with the customer once again and find what might be the issue with changing sysObjectID.

Regards,

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Luis.

Do we have any response from the customer on this? Can we provide some additional information as what are these various Linux systems/appliances are and how can one differentiate them if they report as the same type of system?

Let me know so we can move this idea forward.

Regards,

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes
The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage, and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and community support (votes/kudos).
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Accepted

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.