Static thresholds / ignore levels for baseline mechanism

Static thresholds / ignore levels for baseline mechanism

We need an option to include “ignore levels” or “static thresholds” to the NNMi baselining mechanism. People using the baselining in our NNMi environments, are complaining about it being very noisy. A rise in interface utilization from 10% to 30% might be outside the baseline sleeve and generate exceptions and create incidents. But we would like to have an option to include an ignore level to this. Like ignore usage below 40% or something like this. Just like you can do with OOTB Baseline policies for Infrastructure Management on Operations Agent 12.x with the “cutoff” setting.

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: New Idea

Have you tried increasing the upper normal and lower normal std deviation threshold levels? Would the std deviation increase not address the requirement you are asking? If you dont want an exception at 40% for a 10% baseline then increase the Std Deviation to say 5 above upper normal and that would then raise a threshold event only when the higher deviation happens. Of course, it is relative to the sleeve (which is not configurable) so I agree that you cannot use a "static constant" here but will this work for you ?

LuiR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi TapanS

I did try and increase the deviations, but this did not acheive what i want. We need a "cutoff" value config option. As mentioned, please take a look at how they did it for OM. There you could define everything you need (below is taken from a baseline memory monitor policy from OMi Infrastructure Management 2.x). If we were able to both tweak the deviations and the below, then the baselining mechanism would be perfect:

#PARAMETER CutOff STRING DEFAULT "" VALUE "" SESSION "CutOff" CAPTION "Utilization level below CutOff will not be monitored" 

#PARAMETER MinimumValue INT DEFAULT 0 VALUE 0 SESSION "MinimumValue" CAPTION "Minimum Value of consumed metric (validate baseline)"  

#PARAMETER MaximumValue INT DEFAULT -1 VALUE 100 SESSION "MaximumValue" CAPTION "Maximum Value (validate baseline) of consumed metric"  

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Okay - thanks for the additional info! I get it, yes.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.