Ensign
Ensign

Calling COBOL from Java 1.8 - UnsatisfiedLinkError

Jump to solution

We would like to call a COBOL DLL from a Java Class compiled in Java jdk1.8.0_40. We have the mfcobol.jar from our NetExpress 5.1 environment (5.106.0079) - Windows 7 (6.1 Build 7601) Service Pack 1.

The DLL is compiled with SERIAL directive and linked as Shared, Dynamic and Single-threaded.

We get an Unsatisfied link error when calling the DLL from Java.

Do we need a Jar - mfcobol.jar - that is JRE 1.8 compatible?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi DSOANS, Net Express does not currently support Java 1.8 but we are looking into that for a future release.

1.8 is currently supported under Visual COBOL. If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact me and we can arrange a meeting to talk through the details.

Regards, Scot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Ensign
Ensign

To add to the above:

The actual error is:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: COBOL Runtime - unsupported JVM

com.microfocus.cobol.RuntimeSystem.<clinit>(Unknown Source)

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi DSOANS, Net Express does not currently support Java 1.8 but we are looking into that for a future release.

1.8 is currently supported under Visual COBOL. If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact me and we can arrange a meeting to talk through the details.

Regards, Scot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ensign
Ensign

Thank you Scot - I do have time to discuss this now - I did open a ticket with Microfocus - 2831385. I was not sure how to call you direct.

Our Architects believe we should be able to call a 1.6 jar from a 1.8 executable but not the other way around so would like to discuss any workarounds.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.