www.meugibi.com

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Sounds like this is not an idxformat"8" file as it is not being recognized. You will need the corresponding .dat file to pair with it. MF Indexed files use a .idx extension for the key file. Acu use .vix, I believe so the rebuild with either Net Express or Visual COBOL will most likely work once you have the .dat portion as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.
There should be a data file the same name as the .IDX which contains the actual data. The .IDX contains only the keys, eg primary/secondary etc. There is no point trying to extract the keys without the data file which holds the file records.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Assuming that this is not an IDXFORMAT"8" file which does store both data and keys in a single file you would need the actual .DAT portion of the file to do something with it as buggerall points out.

You could determine if this is a complete file by opening up a Net Express command prompt on your system and running the command:
rebuild <filename> -f

If it is a complete file then it will give you the specs for the file such as record length, key definition, etc so that you could then write your own select and fd to access it in a COBOL program.

Without the original definition though you would have no idea how the individual fields within the record are laid out but you could convert it to a text file using the rebuild command:

For indexed file infile.dat to create text file outfile.txt use:

rebuild infile.dat,outfile.txt /o:ind,lseq
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I'm not sure.
Whoever sent me the files does not know Cobol.

If this file were an IDXFORMAT "8"
I could convert it as?

With net-express? Acucobol? VisualCobol?

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

claudiomiguelmuller@hotmail.com

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
i try use net-express 5.1 rebuild ms-dos command.

rebuild X.IDX /f

return:
rebuild aborted - invalid command line

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Sounds like this is not an idxformat"8" file as it is not being recognized. You will need the corresponding .dat file to pair with it. MF Indexed files use a .idx extension for the key file. Acu use .vix, I believe so the rebuild with either Net Express or Visual COBOL will most likely work once you have the .dat portion as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
The data portion need not be suffixed with .dat it depends on the filename in the creating program.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Some Files not Micro Focus Cobol Format have only one type of file. Couldo you send me an example file to see if I can help you...?? TKS.

Pedro Juan Montero Bernales

PJM Informatica Soluciones Globales

Santiago - Chile

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Are archives rm cobol
I do not work with rm, I'm going to see with the client

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.