Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
seggerman Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Enterprise Server 6.0 - setting IP Address for Listeners

I am tasked with setting up an Enterprise Server to run a Micro Focus COBOL application locally and hopefully get debugging enabled.  I exported a working server from the development server and imported into my local ES.  I changed the listeners by using the IP Address from my local computer - but the three listeners still show the IP Address of the development server.  Do I individually change each of the 3 listeners as well?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Enterprise Server 6.0 - setting IP Address for Listeners

It's not clear to me what you mean when you write "I changed the listeners", but then follow that by asking if you need to "change each of the 3 listeners". Perhaps you only changed the endpoint for the Communications Process which owns the listeners? That setting is the control endpoint of the Communications Process; it has no effect on the listeners hosted by that CP.

So the answer is probably yes, you have to change each of the three listeners.

Note that specifying an address in the endpoint of a listener (or CP) means it will bind only to that interface, and consequently only be reachable on that interface. That's fine if that's what you want. Often people want their listeners bound on all interfaces, which is done by specifying "*:port" or "*:*" (to use a system-assigned port). In that case, you also don't have to worry about changing the addresses if you move or copy the server to another system.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

I am not sure I even need to change the listeners - if I am trying to get an application specific enterprise server started do I point to my IP address or the address of the development server? I inherited an application and would like to be able to debug it when I maintain the code.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It's not clear what you're asking. Do you point what "to your IP address or the address of the development server"? When you debug your application, will it be running under ES on your machine, or on the development server?

In any case: when configuring listener endpoints in an Enterprise Server instance, the simplest approach is to specify "*" for the host portion, as I wrote in my earlier post. That binds the listener to all network interfaces of the system it's running on. Don't specify an IP address in the endpoint unless you want to restrict which interfaces it's available on.

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Neither results in an Enterprise Server which starts - but the exported server has a number of properties specified - and I have no idea which are necessary to run on my local machine and/or which are preventing it from starting. I guess a help ticket is needed here?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That might be best. I can't help without a better understanding of what you have and what you're trying to do. If you open an incident, Customer Care can walk you through getting us the information we need to get you working.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.