ansh2310 Contributor.
Contributor.

Getting issue in .exe file (for execution) while project setup in Netexpress 5.1.

Jump to solution

For Net express 5.1, I am getting some issues while project setup.

1: When I am doing BUILD ALL(Generic Release build)  it creating all .obj and .idy files for cobol programs and build is working fine but it is not making .exe file for project in my release folder.

2: For Generic Debug build options,Build all is again working fine and it is creating intermediate and idy file correctly but somehow I am getting issues for "Illegal issues in numeric field" . The same program and build is working fine in other machine.

I dont know what I am missing in setup that is why I am getting issues?Can anybody help me out?

@netexpress5.1 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Getting issue in .exe file (for execution) while project setup in Netexpress 5.1.

Jump to solution

The project Build window should show all of the files that will be output to the selected build folder after the build is complete. If the package in the Release build shows as an .exe then an .exe should be built. If the .exe is not being built but the .obj file is present then it sounds as if the link step is failing after a sucessful compile.

I would recommend that you turn on the Verbose linker output setting on the Project Build Settings dialog to see if it displays a link error.

For your debug build, int files will automatically be generated with a numeric check on. It is recommended that you actually fix the data which is causing this error instead of trying to mask it but if the invalid data that is in the field is spaces you can try turning on the compiler directive SPZERO which will cause the run-time system to treat spaces as if they were zeroes. Also look in the docs under Run-time switch -F for other options.

BTW, you do not have to generate .int files in order to debug your code. You can debug any type of executable including an .EXE as long as it was compiled with the ANIM directive.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Getting issue in .exe file (for execution) while project setup in Netexpress 5.1.

Jump to solution

When your project is under Generic Release Build, what is specified in the File on disk field when you right-click on the .exe and click on Build Settings? This will indicate where the .exe will be built.

–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The project Build window should show all of the files that will be output to the selected build folder after the build is complete. If the package in the Release build shows as an .exe then an .exe should be built. If the .exe is not being built but the .obj file is present then it sounds as if the link step is failing after a sucessful compile.

I would recommend that you turn on the Verbose linker output setting on the Project Build Settings dialog to see if it displays a link error.

For your debug build, int files will automatically be generated with a numeric check on. It is recommended that you actually fix the data which is causing this error instead of trying to mask it but if the invalid data that is in the field is spaces you can try turning on the compiler directive SPZERO which will cause the run-time system to treat spaces as if they were zeroes. Also look in the docs under Run-time switch -F for other options.

BTW, you do not have to generate .int files in order to debug your code. You can debug any type of executable including an .EXE as long as it was compiled with the ANIM directive.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.