Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
jjotoole Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Net Express Compiled Exe not displaying DialogSystem screenset on certain computers

We have a legacy Net Express 3.1 application that just got moved to a new Windows machine along with the runtime files and when invoked we see the EXE running but the screenset is never displayed. We have tried using compatibility mode and a variety of other things but cannot narrow down why it works on one machine and not on another. We do notice on the machines where the screenset is not displayed that the EXE it taking 5-10 percent CPU which it normally does not on a machine that displays it correctly so I am assuming it's cascading an error but we cannot see it. The OS versions involved in the test are Windows 7, server 2008 and 2012. Is there any way to debug the program or screenset on the offending machine without recompiling? Thanks for any information.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Net Express Compiled Exe not displaying DialogSystem screenset on certain computers

Net Express 3.1 has never been tested (nor supported) on these new OS versions, so the behaviour is undefined. I would suggest upgrading to Net Express 5.1.
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
jjotoole Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Net Express Compiled Exe not displaying DialogSystem screenset on certain computers

Although it had served us well for many years, the time had come to move away from MF Cobol as our development tool and we will not be purchasing or reinstalling any new versions. We only have a handful of programs left and any updates to them will trigger a rewrite using another development platform. I temporarily solved our problem by moving this application to a different Windows 7 machine and it works fine there. I'm sure there is a reason why it would not work on the offending machine but at this point I don't have any more time to chase this.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.