Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Server Express on Linux (Running on Intel chip)

Jump to solution

Hello All,

Intel chip is little endianess (LE) wheres IBM and Solaris is big-endianess(BE) and this is causing me lot of trouble when I am trying to run my application on Linux platform (running on Intel chip set). Traditionally our application run on Sun Solaris based server, code gets compiled with Server Express ver 5.1 and executed in Dell Clerity Unikix TPE/BPE environment.

Now I want to run my same 32 bit COBOL-CICS application on Linux. My application is using COBOL pointers, Oracle database, MQ, C programs, assembler routines and I suspect that this LE and BE switch causes some problems. This could be either in different compiler settings  required for LE (as compare to BE), usage of comp/comp-4 vs comp-5. Errors I am getting are like 'Memory out of bound, program is trying to access memory not assigned to him', error pointing to insufficient access to Oracle database, while executing CICS commands error is "203     CALL parameter not supplied" etc. 

We had copied/replicated the configuration from our running Solaris environment in Linux envrionment, still we are getting such issues. Any general thoughts or views you want to share or do you think I should mention specific problem I am facing to help resolve these issues? Please suggest.

Your thoughts will be useful and  highly appreciated.

Thank you

Jitendra

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Jitendra,

Have the programs been rebuilt on the Linux platform? If you are separately using the Oracle Pro*COBOL precompiler, have the programs been precompiled on the new platform before being compiled?

One thought about problems accessing Oracle from COBOL. Does a separate COBOL program (not part of your current application) compiled on this platform successfully access the Oracle database? Oracle provides a set of about 10 sample COBOL programs that test basic functionality - these are usually included with the Oracle Pro*COBOL precompiler, although they may not be automatically installed with the precompiler. You may also be able to locate them by searching the internet for references to "sample1.pco" through "sample10.pco"

You may want to contact Dell or Clerity about implications for Unikix. Similarly, you may wish to contact Oracle about errors accessing the Oracle database.

Finally, you've asked about the implications of moving between Little Endian and Big Endian systems. There is a Micro Focus Knowledge Base article that discusses some of the concepts and concerns related to this kind of move, specifically as it relates to working with COBOL programs and Oracle. Please see the following link:

community.microfocus.com/.../20444.cobsqlpro-cobol-on-intel-alpha-based-chips.aspx

Blair McDonald

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Jitendra,

Have the programs been rebuilt on the Linux platform? If you are separately using the Oracle Pro*COBOL precompiler, have the programs been precompiled on the new platform before being compiled?

One thought about problems accessing Oracle from COBOL. Does a separate COBOL program (not part of your current application) compiled on this platform successfully access the Oracle database? Oracle provides a set of about 10 sample COBOL programs that test basic functionality - these are usually included with the Oracle Pro*COBOL precompiler, although they may not be automatically installed with the precompiler. You may also be able to locate them by searching the internet for references to "sample1.pco" through "sample10.pco"

You may want to contact Dell or Clerity about implications for Unikix. Similarly, you may wish to contact Oracle about errors accessing the Oracle database.

Finally, you've asked about the implications of moving between Little Endian and Big Endian systems. There is a Micro Focus Knowledge Base article that discusses some of the concepts and concerns related to this kind of move, specifically as it relates to working with COBOL programs and Oracle. Please see the following link:

community.microfocus.com/.../20444.cobsqlpro-cobol-on-intel-alpha-based-chips.aspx

Blair McDonald

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.