ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Commander Commander
Commander

Could we upload new MIB in NA ?

Jump to solution

Hello NA Experts,

Just wanted to ask if NA have any option to add custom MIB for data collection like we do in NNM ?

If not, how does NA collects snmp data in its DB ? What mechanism does it use ?

What would be he case if NA-NNM integration is in place we have custom MIB for device in NNM and same id also added to NA. Would it support SNMP data collection and configuration management.

-Avi Mehenwal

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello Avi Mehenwal,

I have received the following statement from Engineering:

NA can capture the output of the commands using custom diagnostics, but SNMP can not be used for any of this. Your best approach would be API scripts or a script that uses snmpwalk if you want to get custom MIB info.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Have an Insouciant Day!

--SCRTSRCS
Stuart Sanders
Online Outreach Resource

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Absent Member..

Hello Avi Mehenwal,

I will check into this for you and see how NA incorporates SNMP MIBS.

Have an Insouciant Day!

--SCRTSRCS
Stuart Sanders
Online Outreach Resource

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello Avi Mehenwal,

Hope you are doing well.

SNMP is used to grab the filename of the device config and put that filename into a command for TFTP, FTP, and SCP depending what is protocol is supported for that device.   That command is then used to upload the config to NA.

NA uses the scan capability of SNMP to detect network devices in the NA Detect Network Devices page.  After the device is in NA, the driver discovery process queries the SYSOID from the devices and compares the SYSOID to a table of known SYSOIDs and the related drivers.  If the device SYSOID doesn't match anything that NA knows about, NA will attempt to log in to the device using SSH or Telnet to do screen scrapes to obtain the information needed for driver discovery.

For the information specific to each device. Please view the (Driver Support Document) DSD for each device you are discovering. Access to the DSD for a device can be obtained in the NA WebUI Menu: Admin -> Drivers. Search for your device in this page, click the link for that paricular device and there is a matrix showing what is supported for each specific device driver.

Have an Insouciant Day!

--SCRTSRCS
Stuart Sanders
Online Outreach Resource

Commander Commander
Commander

Greetings SCRTSRCS,

Thanks for your value addition on this thread !

It means NA do not browse entire MIB hirrarchy for device infomation but rather only collects values for specific OIDs as specified in the device driver.

Can we upload new MIB or sysOID set to NA ?

I think the answer for my above question in No yet I just wanted to confirm it.

I was hoping that NA being a CM tool, it would have been more exciting if it could tell us the protocol status (OSPF/BGP/EIGRP) right on the console either from custom MIB provided by the vendor (ospf neighbourship status up/down) or fromCLI command output (show ospf neighbour) or from snmp traps. This would really help in troubleshooting issues related to configurations really fast.

-Avi Mehenwal 

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello Avi Mehenwal,

I am checking on the rest of your question.

But here is more detail on NA:

NA does not store MIB data.   Mib like data such as Host and SNMP location is pulled directly from the config.  Other typical Mib data is not pulled, normally this is a function of NNMi and Performance SPIs.

I will add more information as I receive it.

Have an Insouciant Day!

--SCRTSRCS
Stuart Sanders
Online Outreach Resource

Absent Member..

Hello Avi Mehenwal,

I have received the following statement from Engineering:

NA can capture the output of the commands using custom diagnostics, but SNMP can not be used for any of this. Your best approach would be API scripts or a script that uses snmpwalk if you want to get custom MIB info.

Have an Insouciant Day!

--SCRTSRCS
Stuart Sanders
Online Outreach Resource

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.