Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

DB Upgrade during install ?

Jump to solution

From my previous post "Horizontal Scalability for NA DR Environment"  ,

I have :

Primary Location:
NA1 - NA 10.40 Linux RHEL 7.5 VM - Standalone install of NA.
Primary DB Server running Oracle 12.c with "na" instance. 

I'm currently trying to install the Standby NA server in the DR Location.

I'm following the :

Network_Automation_10.40Install NA in a horizontally scalable environment.pdf

When I run the NA installation  script  I choose "Option 1 - NA Core and NA Client Using Oracle  " and give  the credentials to connect to the Oracle DB in the Primary location. 

What I don't understand is that  the installer says:

The installer will update the database you have provided. 

Why is this ? The DB is already properly functioning for the Primary NA server. 

Thanks,

wbrunc

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

You have a single NA Core and that is connected to a Oracle DB, right?  

So, you have run the related Oracle DB script, correct?  

At this point, you need to install the 2nd core, and that will inform the DB about the 2nd server (or 3, 4, 5, 6, etc) coming online and inform the core you're installing about the Oracle DB to connect to.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

You have a single NA Core and that is connected to a Oracle DB, right?  

So, you have run the related Oracle DB script, correct?  

At this point, you need to install the 2nd core, and that will inform the DB about the 2nd server (or 3, 4, 5, 6, etc) coming online and inform the core you're installing about the Oracle DB to connect to.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Chris,

Thanks for your answer. You cleared up some confusion in the documentation.

I hadn't run the OracleInitialSetup.sql script  on the Primary DB yet . 

The documentation doesn't mention running  OracleInitialSetup.sql until both the NA cores are installed:

pg 29  "Configure horizontal scalability for the first two Cores"  

So I'm assuming that once I run it, then when I do to install the NA2, that it won't ask about  a "DB Upgrade".

Thanks,

wbrunc

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
Hello Wbrunc,
please have a look on the online docomentation.
The following link gets you to the point where NA1 is installed and the DB will be preparated for horizontal scalability followed by installation of NA2:
https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Network_Automation:10.40/Install/NA_HS/Configuring_Horizontal_Scalability/Running_the_Horizontal_S

Regards
Karsten
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Yes, that's the same info that I reference above on pg29 .

Thanks,

wbrunc

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.