ecglass1 Contributor.
Contributor.

Details about NNMi Logs

Can someone give me an explanation of the following logs. What they log, when to look at them, etc?

health.log

initdb.log

nnm.log 

nnmcluster-history.log

nnmcluster-status.log

nnm-trace.log

ovjboss.log

ovspmd.log

Also, can someone tell me the difference between nnm.log and nnm-trace.log? In version 10.X they were differentiated by the CONFIG log level, but this level isn't in the 2018.X documentation anymore. 

Much Appreciated. Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. asoloperto Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Details about NNMi Logs

Hello,

health.log:

Contains a history of the health report. Looking at our 2018.11 system shows that a report is saved at 12 pm and 12 am. As it contains many statistics it can be used to analyze previous values (e.g. for JBOSS memory usage) if NNMi detects a health problem.

init.db:

Currently not on our system, but it should be the log file from the installation, when the database is created. Not needed later.

nnm.log:

The main log file while NNMi is running. You should check it for errors and warnings.

nnmcluster-*:

These files are used in Application Level Failover and cluster environments.

nnm-trace.log:

The content is very similar to what is logged in nnm.log, but when you enable tracing, you will need this file.

ovjboss.log:

It logs some starting parameters of the jboss server.

ovspmd.log:

It contains messages about starting, status and stopping NNMi processes (ovstart, ovstatus, ovstop). You should look here when a NNMi process does not start or stop.

The difference between nnm.log and nnm-trace.log is obvious when you enable tracing. Without that, nnm-trace.log has not more use as nnm.log.

BTW: In most cases I look at boot.log (when NNMi is starting I check that no errors are shown), then I look at nnm.log and as most customers are using auto actions I have an eye on incidentActions.0.0.log (in sub folder public).

HTH and best regards

Allessandro

ecglass1 Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Details about NNMi Logs

Thank you Allessandro!!!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.