Highlighted
Absent Member.. Chris_Stewart Absent Member..
Absent Member..

How to create an event response to add devices from HPNA to SevOne for monitoring.

HP Professional services wrote a script for us that queries the postgres database on our Netbrain server and adds new devices to HPNA. To take the next step of integrating our systems,  I'd like to create an event response in HPNA that kicks off whenever a new device is added to HPNA that adds the device to our SevOne monitoring system. SevOne has a SOAP API, but I have no idea how to make it work with HPNA. If something like this is possible, please advise how I could go about getting this going.

I've found some documentation in SevOne, but I'm not clear on what steps I need to do on HPNA. I've attached a SevOne SOAP script that I found in their documentation.

Thanks,

-chris

2 Replies
Chris_Powers Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to create an event response to add devices from HPNA to SevOne for monitoring.

Hi,

You could do this in NA, but if I'm following you correctly, is there a reason you wouldn't want to just add this function in so when Netbrain adds a device to NA, it adds it to SevOne at the same time?  Just a thought.

But, you asked about NA, so in general here's how it'd go:

Go to Admin / New Event Notification & Response Rules

In upper right, click on link for New Event Notification & Response Rule

On second line pick Run Task

On first line, give it a name

For "when the following events occur", pick device added

At the bottom, wait for a set period of time (depends on how busy your system is or how quick you want this to get added / kicked off)

You want to Run External Application

In the External App script (for example Perl script), you'll connect to the NA proxy, get the recently added device info (IP Address), then you can connect to SevOne and add the device.  

If you have and use OO, my response above might be a bit different.  

Other possibilites are you could setup a report to run daily / nightly and list the devices that have been added.  This would get stored on the server.  

Then you have a script that picks up this file, processes it and connects to SevOne and adds the devices.  Maybe a bit easier, but not real-time.  I've done this as well to get devices added to NA from other systems - have them send me a csv, I process it and format it as needed, then have a task that runs that does an import.

Hope this helps,

Chris

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Chris_Stewart Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: How to create an event response to add devices from HPNA to SevOne for monitoring.

Hi Chris,

The script that HP Prof Services wrote for us runs on NA.

I don't know the first thing about scripting or programming, so I don't clearly understand how it works, but I've attached it to this post in case others are interested. This is where I'm looking for help. Is it possible for me to add devices to SevOne without having to learn how to script in PERL?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.