Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

Load Balancer in front of two HS cores

Hello!  I am installing NA 10.20 with two cores with Horizontal Scalability.  Both cores can accept user logins.  Management wants to put a load balancer in front of them, but I have been asked how the LB can tell if a core is up or not.

For example, OO 10.6 has the url http://<IP>:<PORT>/oo/hello.html to tell if a server is live - is there any way in NA for the LB to tell if the core is live and accepting connections?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

You haven't stated what kind of Load Balance you are using.  If you're using an F5, you can set up custom monitor using TCP, and focus on port 22 (SSH/SCP).  If that port is down, HPNA is *pretty much* down for the purposes of monitoring your devices, as not too many people are using Telnet anymore and you need more than just SNMP to do most things (i.e., receive device configs in order to do analytic comparison snapshots).

-Todd

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi,

I would suggest using a monitor that checks the web service port or a more advanced way with iRules on the same principle.

(assuming you are balancing the web serice requests, sessions, api requests) 

In any case, having port 22 unreachable is not a good indication that the NA service is down.

Cheers,

Marius

Marius Herculea
HP SW Technical Consultant

Cloud and Automation Professional Services

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.