Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Verify Install - Enable Distributed System

Jump to solution

Before I install my second NA2 ( 10.40.03) for Horizontal Scalablity ( see the post "Horizontal Scalability for NA DR Environment) , I wanted to verify  my currently working NA1 environment.   I went over the installation document "Network_Automation_10.40Install NA in a horizontally scalable environment.pdf" and it says:

To verify installation and setup, on each NA core, follow these steps:
1. Log on to the NA console as an NA administrator.
2. Open the List Cores page (Admin > Distributed > List Cores).
3. Verify that the list includes all NA cores with the expected status for each NA core.
4. Verify that the information on the List Cores page is identical in each NA console

In the GUI I didn't see any cores listed. Then I checked the "System Configuration" section and get the following : 

Distributed System is NOT Enabled.jpg

Can someone tell me how to enable a Distributed System before I install my second NA2 system ?

I found reference to  "distributed.rcx"  file but I don't have one in /opt/NA/jre .

Thanks,

wbrunc

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Verify Install - Enable Distributed System

Jump to solution

OK, congrats, you've gotten past the problem.  🙂  

So, you "might" be able to use your second core as - is but if it were me and I didn't know the settings, I'd do exactly what you stated:

uninstall

install

add license and distributed.rcx file to both cores / make sure they are on both servers

But, unless you're adding a third core, you don't need to run OracleAddServer.sql 

Currently your DB expects two cores and you'll have two cores.  OracleAddServer.sql  would be if you were adding another / more cores. 

Should be a section on specifically the steps / commands / options to do to get that 2nd core installed.  (also, there is documentation on doing the uninstall...but I've seen this be successful but not clean everything up, so if you do the uninstall and it looks good and then do the install and that complains that it is already there, no worries, there are things you can clean up if needed.  But most of the time it is fine.) 

Once that 2nd core is installed, you should be done  with the install process.  Then you can go back and look at the architecture docs and consider how you want your two cores to behave and work on DR.  But, one step at a time...  🙂

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

I found the "distributed.rcx" file.

It's in the Horizontal Scalability bundle "NA-Node-HS-MM-10.40-Eng.zip" .

But the  "Network_Automation_10.40Install NA in a horizontally scalable environment.pdf" makes no mention of the bundle at all. Nor does it say how to install it. 

Can someone tell me how to install this bundle ?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
Take a look here, it is in the prep section:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Network_Automation:10.40/Install/NA_HS/Configuring_Horizontal_Scalability/Configure

This will prepare the db for two cores in either HS (do this one) or MM (pass on that one).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
There should be a file within the zip called OracleInitialSetup or very similar.
Edit that file, you should see lines that have:
<REPLACEME_DATABASE_NAME>

Now, if you have rights to do this on your DB, super. If you don't or the company's policy is for the DBA to do it, then just give it to them and have them run it.

But as you can see, this will set up your DB for two cores.
Then you'll also need to put the distributed.rcx file on each core in $NA_Install_Dir/jre (/opt/NA/jre if you accept defaults).

At least get this file there, you may want to make changes to it depending on how you want the cores to work, but that's easily done later...

There used to be a PDF: Horizontal Scalability guide, but with this new doc site, guess they figured it wasn't needed. You might be able to look for a 10.4 PDF...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
If you aren't sure if the HS script has been run (you inherited this NA instance and not sure what the other person did or didn't do) - log into the DB if you can and do this:

select * from RN_Core;

Does it come back with one or two or more?  Guessing it'll be just one or two...

If it is one, you need to do the HS bundle - fill out that file / script and either run it or have your DBA run it.  

Also, and this is easy to forget / miss...  make sure the distributed.rcx files are on both servers (of course, after NA has been installed).

And this was a fully working single core NA instance before right? This isn't a newly created DB and core(s), right? Asking as I am thinking of other possible things to check / look at for potential problems.

Good luck!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

I"ve tried using the hostnames or the IP's in the OracleInitialSetup.sql script but it keeps looking for a table that doesn't exist.   

Some background, the first NA1 server was installed using Option "1".

Enter 1  if you will use a supported version of Oracle for the NA database. Oracle must already be installed on a separate database server, and the NA tablespace must already be created.

NA1 has been working with no problems.  But to get it to HS I get the following:

SQL> @/tmp/OracleInitialSetup.sql
UPDATE RN_CORE SET
ERROR at line 19:
ORA-06550: line 19, column 8:
PL/SQL: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
ORA-06550: line 19, column 1:
PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored
ORA-06550: line 32, column 13:
ORA-06550: line 32, column 1:
ORA-06550: line 56, column 57:
ORA-06550: line 56, column 1:

SQL>

Is there a specific script to run to create RN_CORE ? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

RN_CORE should be there...  

I don't know if it was the same ORA issue or not, but seem to recall we saw a similar error when the DBA had changed IDs to use and we tried the old ID - we could get in, but we couldn't see what we knew was out there.  Perhaps the ID that is used to run the HS script doesn't have the needed level of rights?  Seem to recall in the pre-NA install section, there is a mention on rights and other bits that the DBA would need to do.  

So, can you log into the DB with SQL Developer with the same ID / password that NA uses to the active db (think we covered this in a prior topic but system status / database monitor) and do the select?  I ask as if you use the NA DB connection credentials and that lets you do the select ok, but then try with your credentials and that errors and you use your credentials to the script and of course it is failing that may show the problem, you don't have the needed rights.  Or I guess you could have typo in the file?  

Or, at least go to system status / Database Monitor and do a search for rn_core - you should find a match and it will say:

Table rn_core count: 2 (or 1 if you are single core like the one I show below):

Table RN_CORE count: 1

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
OK, I just tried to use an ID that should not be used to connect to NA.
I can log in, however, I too can't see RN_CORE

Same error as you, so I'd say you are working on a rights issue...

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
00942. 00000 - "table or view does not exist"
*Cause:
*Action:
Error at Line: 1 Column: 15

This was the DB that I referenced earlier when I showed rn_core 1
if I log in with a ID with the needed rights, it'll work and I'll see details on the one core.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Due to your suggestions, I've made some progress. 

I must've been running the script as the wrong user.  I tried to run it exactly has the install doc said:

[oracle@dbpa1 ~]$ sqlplus nauser/xxxxxxx@na

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Thu Feb 6 16:20:38 2020

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Last Successful login time: Thu Feb 06 2020 16:20:21 +00:00

Connected to:
Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Advanced Analytics and Real Application Testing options

SQL> @/tmp/OracleInitialSetup.sql

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL>

Now the GUI  lists both NA1 and NA2 cores. Which leads me to a follow up  question.

NA2 was installed as a standalone. Therefore, I assume to make it  part of HS I need to:

- Uninstall NA on NA2

-Reinstall NA2 using Option 4 (  .. secondary NA core server in a hs environment )

- Use the same license for NA2 as I have for NA1, as per the documentation.

- Put distributed.rcx  in /opt/NA/rje on the NA2 server . 

- Run the OracleAddServer.sql script on the DB server. 

Does that sound right.

Thanks again,

wbrunc

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

OK, congrats, you've gotten past the problem.  🙂  

So, you "might" be able to use your second core as - is but if it were me and I didn't know the settings, I'd do exactly what you stated:

uninstall

install

add license and distributed.rcx file to both cores / make sure they are on both servers

But, unless you're adding a third core, you don't need to run OracleAddServer.sql 

Currently your DB expects two cores and you'll have two cores.  OracleAddServer.sql  would be if you were adding another / more cores. 

Should be a section on specifically the steps / commands / options to do to get that 2nd core installed.  (also, there is documentation on doing the uninstall...but I've seen this be successful but not clean everything up, so if you do the uninstall and it looks good and then do the install and that complains that it is already there, no worries, there are things you can clean up if needed.  But most of the time it is fine.) 

Once that 2nd core is installed, you should be done  with the install process.  Then you can go back and look at the architecture docs and consider how you want your two cores to behave and work on DR.  But, one step at a time...  🙂

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.