Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: "update device software" task for multiple Cisco 6500s does not show sup-bootdisk|slav

Jump to solution

I like your thought on the limit.  I did see a nightmarish SQL query in the wrapper log at the same time that ended in:    "DESC limit 10 "

I am going to try and find 2 6500s that have less than 10 file system partions and see if they shed any light on this...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: "update device software" task for multiple Cisco 6500s does not show sup-bootdisk|slav

Jump to solution

Just wanted to keep you posted....

I have a case open.

They were able to reproduce the problem and have turned it over to the backline engineer.  I'll let you know what they come back with.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

In addition to all contributions and thoughts from Chris_Powers about this particular issue.

First we need to validate and verify what are the differences between your NA v 10.00 and  v 10.11.02

Also we need to confirm manually which driver has assigned under Devices, select Device Tools on Software Images page and double all image requirements were correctly defined such as Driver, Model, System Memory, Processor etc.

This would be a way to check if there is something different at the time the image was defined between each version(HPNA v 10.00 and v 10.11.02). Note: The file size cannot be larger than 256MB.

We would need to confirm which is the correct driver to use for those cisco switches.

Also reviewing our official documentation in the user guide when when we Deploy a software image to Multiple Devices the on Device area shows only the files that will be added to the devices and the total memory number is the smallest file system free space of all qualified devices and seems to be a default situation.

What happened when you move files and folders from the Software Image Repository area into Device area?

as optional mark files in the On Device area for deletion, as the boot image, or as the OS image.

Also I have confirmed in my one of my test environment when we Deploy Software to one device it will be displaying the content of the file systems on the device.

We will see the last file system diagnostic. The total, free, and net memory numbers shown in the
Deployment Table field are coming from the latest diagnostic.

I do not see this as problem in NA but we must validate  if partitions "sup-bootdisk | slavesup-bootdisk" are not really present at the time of the execution of the task with several devices

Only could be a driver if the partitions are infact present on the device but is not getting parsed in to NA. To confirm if the they are in fact present on the devices in question you can run the "NA Device File System" diagnostic for the failing device WITH the session log turned ON.

In the session log output of the task, you can see for example if the "Slavedisk0" is listed on the device. Typically the driver uses "DIR" command to find out the drives on the device. It could be a different command for this Cisco 6500s but the concept is the same. If the "Slavedisk0" is not listed as a part of the DIR (or equivalent) command then it's not present on the failing device and there is no issue. But if it's present on the device and is accessible (like the command DIR Slavedisk0: shows valid output in the session log), then it is a driver issue. 

run the "NA Device File System" diagnostic for the device question is the best opetion here.

I hope the information is helpful.

Christian Henríquez M
Software Support L3 Engineer
Micro-Focus
0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Adding a bit more detail about this behavior:

When you referred to update software on an individual device we know the choices are much more granular instead to do the same with multiple devices.

This becomes a limitation in our HPNA by design due to the interface completely change and it will not allow us any more assignment to have multiple "slot" destination options(it can only use the file that will be added to the devices image) same slots a the same time, instead of that the system will make you the process times for each slot you wants.

This is by design. We cannot guarantee similarities between devices. The recommendation is to not do group tasks for software updates. You could do a multi-task project with each device in it's own child task.

This can be opened as an RFE, according what development mentioned before in regard this behavior is not simple to address and change.

I hope it helps for you....!!!

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please make sure to mark that post as an accepted solution and leave a Kudo.

Christian Henríquez M
Software Support L3 Engineer
Micro-Focus
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Chris,

I haven't forgotten,   This is still an open case and the RnD folks have it. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@iamnoone

have you tried using this driver?

Cisco routers, Catalyst 4000 & 6000 series switches, L3 switches, IOS version 12.x, 15.x, 16.x & IOS-XE 3.x & 4.x,

the ciscoIOScommon inner works are being migrated to the CiscoIOS_JS_Router. also a couple of improvements were made on July´s driver pack.

then you can run a Run a File System Diagnostic again and see if the issue continues.

if it´s not much to ask ► sh file systems ◄ from 2 of the involved devices could shed more light into to this. 

Pedro A. Batista
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the THUMB at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@iamnoone,

I believe this is already solved wiith a fix from support side, but do you mind letting us know?

Pedro A. Batista
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the THUMB at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

My appologies to the community, I lost access to the forum during the Micro Focus cutover...

I can only report that the case was closed.  The fix that was developed was for a higher version than what I

am currently able to run so I am not able to verify that it will solve my issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.