Highlighted
New Member.

Alerting on sysUptime device not in topology

All,

I've run into a weird issue today, which I'd like to attribute to a fluke and resolve. I've set Data Collection to notify on certain groups of nodes for sysUptime changes (reboots basically). In the past this has worked perfectly. A node gets polled for sysUptime and if it returns a lesser value than the previously stored value, the system (or SNMP Agent) has restarted.

During the week a request was put forth to create a maintenance window for a few devices. These devices did not show up in the topology so I notified the requester that they should be all set and closed out the ticket. These devices are for testing and usually are not monitored unless specifically requested.

Low and behold, I get an email from the requester stating he received an alert regarding the device rebooting. At first I didn't believe it and assumed the notification was from some other monitoring tool. I checked the Alarm Browser, and there it was, two alerts from two devices that don't exist in the topology.

I did an ovtopodump and confirmed the devices do not exist. The only place that they do exist is in the Event Configuration. Now it has been my experience that Data Collection will only work on nodes that exist in the topology. So why would I still receive an alert for a device that doesn't exist in the topology?

Any ideas? 10pts to someone who can explain why this happened.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

Re: Alerting on sysUptime device not in topology

I failed to mention ->

HP-UX 11.23 - NNM 7.53
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

DataCollection module (snmpCollect) can collect on data not in topology, provided you have configured the names of the nodes to be collected directly in snmpCol.conf file.
Check if you provided the actual names or ipaddresses of nodes not in topology using xnmcollect GUI.
In that case snmpCollect would be collecting on it.
You can get a list of nodes and expressions being collected by using command snmpCollect -S.
1) tail -f $OV_LOG/snmpCol.trace
2) ovstart -c snmpCollect
3) Run /opt/OV/bin/snmpCollect -S

HTH
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

In this case, a list of devices in a file was removed from the data collection a week prior. Stopping OV and restarting it, basically reloaded the nodes in the data collection configuration and resolved the issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Closed see above response
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.