Highlighted
Established Member.. HHirt
Established Member..

Auto-discovery of missing elements

Jump to solution

Dear support,

Small question about a problem we would like to solve with NNMi :

We would like to ensure we don’t miss recently installed switches worldwide. Only us install switches but sometimes, rarely we forget to put them in NNMi.

To solve this I was thinking about using an automatic discovery on the subnets we have switches (it is always certain subnets per site, so we can limit the discovery scope).

We should take in consideration devices not having already SNMP running on it and maybe only using ICMP and maybe no DNS also (Worst case).

What would be the best approach knowing that we speak about a discovery on more than 800 subnets from .1 to .30 per subnet

Ideally we would like to run this every 6 months or a bit less to consolidate our inventory properly,

We also would like to automate this as much as possible and avoid overload NNMi everyday with it,

Thanks for any suggestions 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave Young Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Auto-discovery of missing elements

Jump to solution

Hi Hoffman,

In order to do this you can configure NNMi's discover rules and provide the IP Address range of each of these subnets.  When defining the ranges you can use the IP address and subnet mask length which should make it easier to define.  You can the enable "ping sweep" for the rule and this will then cause NNMi to sweep the address range for any new addresses.

It is also possible to configure these rules via the Command Line Interface using the nnmdiscocfg.ovpl script. 

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
3 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Hoffman,

In order to do this you can configure NNMi's discover rules and provide the IP Address range of each of these subnets.  When defining the ranges you can use the IP address and subnet mask length which should make it easier to define.  You can the enable "ping sweep" for the rule and this will then cause NNMi to sweep the address range for any new addresses.

It is also possible to configure these rules via the Command Line Interface using the nnmdiscocfg.ovpl script. 

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Established Member.. HHirt
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Dave, 

It is Holzmanno, not Hoffmann, but don't worry it happens often 🙂

Great, I was thinking about something like this but wanted clarification if my thinking was correct,

Thanks for your support, always appreciated

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Holzmanno,

My apologies!   Good luck with the implementation and you are on the right lines.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.