Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

BGP Polling

Jump to solution

I need some advice on BGP polling Count Based Thresholds. I have a custom poller monitoring bgpPeerState-bgpAdminState but I need to know what values to plug into : High Value, High Value Rearm, High Trigger Count.I'm confused as the what the High Value is and what the High Trigger Count.If my Trigger Count Value = 2 Polling cycles what would the High Value be? Appreciate any help as the Help Docs are confusing. Thanks - John

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: BGP Polling

Jump to solution

John,

Firstly have you looked at the new BGP monitoring feature in NNMi 10.30?   If you are working with BGP then this is worth a look as statepoller is now monitoring various BGP variables and reporting on them.

To answer your questions on those terms:

The High value is the value of the collected variable(s) above which the threshold incident will be triggered.
The High value rearm is the value below which the collected variable(s) value must fall in order to rearm the threshold.   Therefore multiple collections returning a value above the high value will only trigger 1 incident until the value falls below the rearm value.
The trigger count is the number of consecutive values above the High value that the collection must return before the threshold is triggered.   This avoids a single spike trigger an alarm for some collections.   Or this trigger can be time based, so the returned values must be above the High value for "x" minutes before the threshold is triggered

As for monitoring BGP, the bgpPeerState variable is defined as having the values :

idle(1),
                                connect(2),
                                active(3),
                                opensent(4),
                                openconfirm(5),
                                established(6)

where 6 is regarded as Normal, so you would want to set a Low value threshold and alert when the value falls below 5.5 ( say ) and rearm when it goes back above 5.6  ( ie back to 6 - normal )

But do check out 10.30, you may find it useful.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: BGP Polling

Jump to solution

John,

Firstly have you looked at the new BGP monitoring feature in NNMi 10.30?   If you are working with BGP then this is worth a look as statepoller is now monitoring various BGP variables and reporting on them.

To answer your questions on those terms:

The High value is the value of the collected variable(s) above which the threshold incident will be triggered.
The High value rearm is the value below which the collected variable(s) value must fall in order to rearm the threshold.   Therefore multiple collections returning a value above the high value will only trigger 1 incident until the value falls below the rearm value.
The trigger count is the number of consecutive values above the High value that the collection must return before the threshold is triggered.   This avoids a single spike trigger an alarm for some collections.   Or this trigger can be time based, so the returned values must be above the High value for "x" minutes before the threshold is triggered

As for monitoring BGP, the bgpPeerState variable is defined as having the values :

idle(1),
                                connect(2),
                                active(3),
                                opensent(4),
                                openconfirm(5),
                                established(6)

where 6 is regarded as Normal, so you would want to set a Low value threshold and alert when the value falls below 5.5 ( say ) and rearm when it goes back above 5.6  ( ie back to 6 - normal )

But do check out 10.30, you may find it useful.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.