Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Best practice for defining icmp/snmp retries/timeouts on HP NNMi

Hi Guys, I've just installed a new HP NNMi 10.21 from scratch (migrating settings from current production server NNMi 9.2) and performed the initial discovery. Now I'm reviewing results and would like to know whether the current snmp/icmp coomunication settings are fine and fine tune it as necessary. My first idea was to get (monitor) snmp/icmp average/peak response times (and retries) in order to choose values suitable to my environment instead of following any rule of thumb. Is the a way to get such figures on NNMi?

Thank you

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Best practice for defining icmp/snmp retries/timeouts on HP NNMi

nopel, not inside the application, you'll have to script something at the OS level.

windows  you can do this (if it hasnt blue screened yet, needs to be patched, lacks permission, uses some esotetic language pack, etc)

"C:\>ping nameofwebsite.com >> c:\Test.txt -t"  and then parse the output.

Or for Linux you can slap a wrapper on this and feed a file containing your device list and do it automatically:
N=1; ping google.com -c 10 | grep Minimum | sed -r 's/(Average = [[:digit:]]+ms)/\1\n/g' | sed -r s'/[[:space:]]+(Minimum)/\1/g' | while read file; do echo Server "$N": "$file"; N=$((N+1)); done >> output.tx

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thank you for prompt your response Andy.

To reproduce icmp response times will be easy to do by using the NNMi's list of IP addresses - due to the simplistic icmp´s nature ping results will hopefully be close to what NNMi is getting.

For snmp response times however, it's a bit more complicated due to the fact that I won't be able to reproduce (using snmpget/walk/bulk) the same type and volume of snmp queries performed by the performance, fault, L3/L2 discovery processes, config polls, etc.

Well right now I'm trying get these figures by using a netscout infinistream sniffer and analysis, let's see what I can get. But IMHO it could or should be provided within NNMi by enabling some highier trace level or some kind of performance report.

I'll issue an ER for it, lets see if it's useful to others as well.

Best regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

What you're trying to do is highly dependant on your network, its QoS/DSCP markings, and the other traffic at each time the polling occurs so unless you're continually running the tests your responses will vary.  Dont forget the varibility of the device responses  based on thier system load and OS. Some devices like IOS, IOS-XR, CatOS, NX-OS prioritize the snmp agent processes which can starve its ability to respond.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.