Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Changes in report view affect original report

Hello,

i'm trying to give users a way to change report options (change metrics shown in the report) without permanently changing standard reports.

Now, in my scenario, a user sees the standard component TopN report, runs it, decides that in that particular moment it would be more interesting to see other metrics on the graph, changes the report options, adjust them and whn he's finished the standard report has been changed for good.

Now, we all read that these operations should be done on Report Views, so we teach users to save reports as Report Views and then change the options there BUT these changes still affect the original standard report. So what's the point of saving a reports as report views ? Is it just to sabve the topology filter and time control filters ? (i have strong feelings that they are not to be trusted they'll be  actually always saved, i have proven it during a webex with support which was recorded but this is another story)

I am told by support that users have to Copy the report they want to change (from NPS Portal) and then they can work on the copied report (and even in this case there seems to be issues with original reports due proably to cache problems)

My question is a bit polemic but i'll ask it anyway: is this all necessary ? Isn't a little weird that users have to copy a report just to temporarely see something different ? A report should be something users run and in a few click is "customized" to suite their needs on the fly. Users are investigating something, they run the TopN, change its option and configure it so show the metrics that are of interest in that moment. This cannot affect the standard report which might be in use by another user in the same moment or that has been scheduled for email notification. And telling users that if they want to see something different they have to go to NPS Portal and find the report and copy it and then change it is a little awkard, especially for a reporting tool.

Has anyone ever had the same need ?

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Re: Changes in report view affect original report

Hello, I'm trying to configure similar configuration - up to now without success.. Are you working with newest NPS (10.50)? It seems, NPS 10.50 behaves differently than NPS 10.21 I was working with some time ago. When Report view is created, no "Save Report" under "Keep this version" appears - that's the difference between latest version and working NPS 10.21.. It also means, that report view does not save all Time and Topology settings, even Report itself has no "Save Report" option - and this also means, Time and Topology settings are not saved. 

Attached are screenshots from 10.21 and 10.50 version for same report view

Have someone seen same behaviour? Do we need to configure in latest version differently, or this is a bug?

Tomas Lanik
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.