Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Correlating events in NNMi

Jump to solution

Hi

We are monitoring CPU utilization based on Monitoring configuration->Threshold settings and this is working fine.

However alarms are generated for each CPU within the device.

Is there any other way to alert based on threshold for all CPUs or number of CPUs, for example if 3 or 4 CPUs are more than 100% raise an alarm.

Please advise.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Correlating events in NNMi

Jump to solution

Ramesh,

There is no simple way to do this with either Statepoller or custom poller.  Trying to also implement something using rate, or correlation rules could also be very difficult due to the possible time periods involved.  However you could probably implement a simple script to do this.  It could pull the necessary mib variables for CPU usage, make the calculations and then check the results and issue a trap if the threshold you want is breached.  The script could then be run periodically from either cron ( linux ) or AT ( windows ).

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ramesh,

There is no simple way to do this with either Statepoller or custom poller.  Trying to also implement something using rate, or correlation rules could also be very difficult due to the possible time periods involved.  However you could probably implement a simple script to do this.  It could pull the necessary mib variables for CPU usage, make the calculations and then check the results and issue a trap if the threshold you want is breached.  The script could then be run periodically from either cron ( linux ) or AT ( windows ).

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Dave

Is it not possible to use custom poller to find total number of CPU breached out of total number CPU available.

For example 50% of CPU is breached out of 20 CPUs

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Ramesh,

Unfortunately not.  Custom Poller works on an instance by instance basis and its not possible to consolidate different instance values into a monitored configuration.  Its something that has been asked for in the past and all I can suggest is to open an IDEA and get folks to vote on the request to help get it prioritised.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Dave

Do you have any idea on the MIB variables that are polled for CPU utilization.

Also is it possible from script to do the polling only on devices contained in certain nodegroup.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ramesh,

The mib variables used depend on the device(s) in question.  If you status poll the device the name of the policy will provide  a clue as to where the variables are coming from.   Alot of devices support the Host Resources mib so these will be:

cpu1m - 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2

Alot of cisco devices use the following variables

cpu5s - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.3
cpu1m - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.4
cpu5m - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.5

or

cpu5m - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58
cpu1m - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.57
cpu5s  - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.56

and so the list can go on and on.   I think the best thing to do is to see if the above cover your devices.  If they don't then get a list of the CPU polling policies being used on your devices and then either open a support case and we can get you the mibs vars, or if there aren't too many then put them here and I will dig out the variables for them.

As for the nodegroups, it is possible to get the list of nodes in a nodegroup from the DB using either nnmnodegroup.ovpl or SQL.  Check out the reference page for the script and its "-listMembers". 

-listMembers -group (<name>|<uuid>) [-deep] [-fields <fields>] [-format <format>]

Print nodes in the specified node group.

-group (<name>|<uuid>)

The name or UUID of the node group.

-deep

By default, listMembers will only list the nodes of the node group. The -deep option will list all nodes in the node group and all child node groups.

-fields <fields>

Selects the output fields for table data as a comma-separated list.

-format <format>

Sets the output format for table data; valid values are TEXT, LIST, CSV or XML.

So yes this is also possible to do. 

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.