Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Custom Poller Collection filtering

Hi all,
I am having difficulties defining the correct Conversion Algorithm & Display Variable in a MIB Expression in order to use it in a Custom Poller Collection.
The problem is not so straightforward and i will try to explain it as clear as i can.

What I want to do is to measure the MIB variable cbQosCMDropPkt (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.166.1.15.1.1.13) for specific interfaces of a router.
I know that the procedure to do this has the following steps:
1. Create a MIB Expression for this MIB Variable
   In this step I have to provide a proper Conversion Algorithm & Display Variable
2. Create a Custom Poller Collection for this MIB Expression
   In this step I have to provide a MIB filter Variable because it is required for the multiple instances of the MIB variable.
3. Create a Custom Poller Policy for the collection
   In this step I have to provide a MIB filter in order to have only the desired instances.
4. Add The Custom Poller Collection to a Report Group

The problem is with the filtering of the values of the MIB Expression.
The MIB variable cbQosCMDropPkt has a complex indexing:
=== snmpwalk cbQosCMDropPkt output sample ===
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.9696.65536 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.9696.131072 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.15298.65536 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.15346.65536 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.15362.65536 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.15378.65536 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.15394.65536 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.15394.196608 : Counter: 0
cbQosCMStatsTable.cbQosCMStatsEntry.cbQosCMDropPkt.15394.262144 : Counter: 0
======
The first index number (for example 9696) is somehow related with the interface of the router.
The second index number (for example 65536) is somehow related with the class map of the interface.

I am trying to find a way to filter my collection using the first index number.
Is that possible?

Costas

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Custom Poller Collection filtering

Hello Costas,

perhaps you have seen this Cisco site explaining the relations in detail:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/simple-network-management-protocol-snmp/119031-technote-router-00.html

It seems, that the information you need to filter is organized in different mib tables and I think that you cannot combine these in a custom poller configuration.

If you are licensed for the QA SPI, it should be able to cover your needs out of the box (e.g. you have NNMi Premium or Ultimate).

I have currently no access to a NNMi system containing nodes with cbQoS. Perhaps you can share some mib walks of the tables referenced on the Cisco site.

Kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.