Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Custom Polling an item that appears in a Table.

Could someone advise me on why i can't seem to get the custom poller working for a device we have which monitors a fuel level? If i do an SNMPWALK or SNMPGET of my mib in question it gives me a percentage value back (in this case 90%), so i know i have the correct mib. If i custom poll it i get various errors in the log:

Missing Filter configuration: required for table entry MIBs used in MIBexpression

I've tried playing with filters and the error went and now says:

MIB variable requested .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385.1.3.2.1.2 does not exist on node.

For my CUSTOM POLLER COLLECTION i have created a policy called TestFuelLevel, affected node status ticked, generate incident ticked, incident source = custom polled instance and i have set the mib variable to .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385.1.3.2.1.2. Do i need to set a threshold or comparison map also?

From scouring the forums it seems you need to create a filter if you want to monitor a MIB that is part of a table., which mine is. The table mib is .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385.1.3.2.1 (customInstrumentTabledseCustomInstrumentEntry) and the mib within that table is .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385.1.3.2.1.2 (slot1Value).

I feel i'm getting close but is this even possible?

Cheers

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Custom Polling an item that appears in a Table.

Hi, Deano
waht is exact MIB where fuel percentage is stored? Who it looks in  nnmsnmpget.ovpl  (integer or ortetstringascii) ?

how output of nnmsnmpwalk,ovpl  <> .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385  or .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385.1.3.2.1. looks like?

regards,
Gedas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl mynode .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385.1.3.2.1.2

customInstrumentTable.dseCustomInstrument.Entry.slotValue.1 : Unsigned32: 90

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl mynode .1.3.6.1.4.1.41385.1.3.2.1

customInstrumentTable.dseCustomInstrument.Entry.gencomTaskCustom.1 : INTEGER: 1

customInstrumentTable.dseCustomInstrument.Entry.slotValue.1 : Unsigned32: 90

customInstrumentTable.dseCustomInstrument.Entry.slotDescription.1 :  OCTET STRING- (ascii): Tank Level 1

These are the outputs of the direct value and the table mib.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, Deano

then in MIB expression:
Expression: slotValue
Converiosn algoritm: MIB value
Display value:  slotDescription

In the Custom Poller policy:
MIB filter: *
MIB Filter Variable:  slotDescription

regards

Gedas

Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

Gedas,

Getting close! If i look at the log now i get this:

--------------------------------------------------------------

No MIB instance found on the node with filter value: *

Also assume for Conversion algoritm: MIB value you meant Conversion algoritm: MIB variable?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, Deano

sure it must be "MIB Variable" . I have no "fuel" device so created something very simmilar as yours. My gole is to monitor pocersses status using UCD MIB. I'm looking for process error code "prErrorFlag" (it must be "slotValue" in your case) and process name 'prNames" (must be 'slotDescription" in your case)

prTable.prEntry.prIndex.1 : INTEGER: 1
prTable.prEntry.prIndex.2 : INTEGER: 2
prTable.prEntry.prIndex.3 : INTEGER: 3
prTable.prEntry.prNames.1 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): ntpd
prTable.prEntry.prNames.2 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): gedasd
prTable.prEntry.prNames.3 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): ovjboss
prTable.prEntry.prErrorFlag.1 : INTEGER: 0
prTable.prEntry.prErrorFlag.2 : INTEGER: 1
prTable.prEntry.prErrorFlag.3 : INTEGER: 0
prTable.prEntry.prErrMessage.1 : OCTET STRING-
prTable.prEntry.prErrMessage.2 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): No gedasd process running
prTable.prEntry.prErrMessage.3 : OCTET STRING-

Please find configuration screenshots attached.

my 2 centas
Gedas

Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

Gedas

Thanks for taking time to respond and actually do some testing - it is much appreciated. I have looked at your screenshot and mine is basically identical.

Name : TankLevel

Ordering: 1

Collection: TankLevelCollection

Active State : Active

Node Group : Test <-- my single node is in this test grp

MIB Filter: *

When i look at the log or in the Custom Node Collections tab i see the message "No MIB instances found on the node with filter value: " (As it's always a value between 0-100 i also tried 0-100 in a filter and i get the same error ""No MIB instances found on the node with filter value: 0-100

Just to ensure custom polling is working i tried another node in my lab that has a value not in a table and this one worked first time and is fine.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Hi,

I'm having the same problem for a table type mib.
I need to extract the information related to OID enterprises.5597.30.0.1.2.1.4.1, however the tree related to the MIB expression allows to get up to the enterprises.5597.30.0.1.2.1.4, and it is not possible to reach even the figure relative to the single clock.
How do you configure the custom poller to extract data from the table?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello,

please post the output of "nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl node .1.3.6.1.4.1.5597.30.0.1.2".

BR Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi,

zero character in the middle of OID looks weird. It is not supported by SNMP ASN and obviously confuses Custom Poller. I have seen such SNMP agents' issues several times.

Gedas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello,

I have no Meinberg device here to check, but I have configured the MIB expression and the Custom Poller in my test system. After loading the two MIBs (MBG-SNMP-ROOT-MIB, MBG-SNMP-LTNG-MIB), I added a collection and a policy in Custom Poller without an error. Find attached the screenshots.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

I can confirm that your configuration is the right one, it works perfectly even to monitor another kind of device (DELL IDRAC).

Thanks for sharing it.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.