Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Custom poll MIB object that comes and goes?

Jump to solution

Hello,
Is there a way to use NNMi's custom poller to query against a MIB object/table that only responds/gets populated when an alarm condition is active?
In other words, if the condition/alarm is not active, the queried node responds with "No MIB objects contained under subtree".
I'm not sure what this type of object/table is called, but the behaviour does exist for the Cisco cErrDisableIfStatusTable.

I am trying to find Cisco switch ports that get err-disabled.
Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Custom poll MIB object that comes and goes?

Jump to solution

Hi rpd,

As Nga has indicated this is not possible with Custom Poller (CP).  The reason being that when the collection is initially started ( and again at each daily config check ) CP determines what instances of the expression to collect.  There on it just asks for those instances.  While it can detect if an instance is no longer reported, it can't detect a new entry until the next config check.

For this type of situation you are better off writing a small script to monitor the table in question and then run the script from a "cron" or "AT" job.  The script can  pull back all the entries in the table and work out what has changed and then issue any required alerts.   You can think of cron and AT as extending NNMi's capabilities in this way.

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

As I know, the alarm only worked good if the MIB file supported of device has been uploaded and loaded to the NNMi system success. If the MIB file is not loaded then the NNMi system will not report the alarm of that features. And for the question: if the condition/alarm is not active, the queried node responds with "No MIB objects contained under subtree".

I don't think NNMi product can get this report for your device. If you need more detail about the network device and MIB file supported detail then please raise a case to support team then you will find the suitable answer on detail network device.

Best regards,

Nga Do
SW Support Engineer | Network Node Manager I-Series

MicroFocus.com | @microfocus
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi rpd,

As Nga has indicated this is not possible with Custom Poller (CP).  The reason being that when the collection is initially started ( and again at each daily config check ) CP determines what instances of the expression to collect.  There on it just asks for those instances.  While it can detect if an instance is no longer reported, it can't detect a new entry until the next config check.

For this type of situation you are better off writing a small script to monitor the table in question and then run the script from a "cron" or "AT" job.  The script can  pull back all the entries in the table and work out what has changed and then issue any required alerts.   You can think of cron and AT as extending NNMi's capabilities in this way.

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Nga and Dave,
Thank you for confirming what I suspected about CP, and how it might work this type of MIB table.

It was good to learn though, that CP does a daily config check, as I did not realize that.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.