Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. samir_dk Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Device profile is cisco generic

I have recently upgraded our NNMi installation to 2018.05 which should support certain Cisco Nexus switches (NCS5501SE) that we have bought. The problem is that Device profile is currently set to Cisco generic (see attachment), which in return means that we don't have full knowledge of what the device is all about in NNMi.
I have tried checking device support matrix for 2018.05 NNMi but it doesn't contain details about this particular device.

I did found full list in NOM (see attachment), which NNMi should be a part of, but I don't know what this means. Is there full disclosure between NNMi and NOM regarding devices?
Do I have to make a Enhancement Request for this device, which seems to be supported in other Microfocus product? One that includes the one we already purchased?

I also noticed that MIB's on NNMi are very old, specifically CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB.my (see attached). Our particular device is not listed, since this MIB is from 2010. In hope to resolve this I installed Device Driver Pack for NNMi January 2019, but old MIBs remained. Does this have anything to do with Device profile?

Kind regards
Samir

0 Likes
2 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. asoloperto Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Device profile is cisco generic

Hello Samir,

the screenshot of https://docs.microfocus.com/NOM/2018.05/Content/common/nom_device_support_matrix/NOM_Device_Support_Matrix.html does not show the table headers. There you will find "Fault and Performance Monitoring" and below that "Monitoring Features". And in this column your device (1.3.6.1.4.9.1.2350) has a "NO" and that means that NNMi does only provide "Cisco generic support" (some out of the box monitoring should work at all).

If you want to update the device support in NNMi, you have to download the latest Device Driver Pack from https://marketplace.microfocus.com/itom/content/device-driver-packs-for-nnmi (login required and I think the login must be linked to a running support contract).

In that download (currently January 2019) you will find the support matrix for NNMi and there you will NOT find your device (as I checked it some minutes ago). As I see you found the download already.

If you want "more" support for a certain device you will have to raise an enhancement request via support ticket.

The Cisco products MIB has NO impact on the NNMi internal business logic and I have not seen that the Device Driver Pack contains/updates any MIB.

To sum it up for currently not supported devices:

1. Check the current Device Driver Pack (the support matrix in the download for the OID of your device).

2. If it is not listed there, raise an enhancement request (Micro Focus releases new Device Driver Packs mostly every second month). The support will ask for snmpwalks and other information.

3. Install the Device Driver Pack

4. After restart of NNMi do a configuration poll on the devices (this should change the Device Profile entry).

HTH and best regards

Allessandro

PS: If you cannot wait you can use Custom Poller to monitor important MIB values.

Trusted Contributor.. samir_dk Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Device profile is cisco generic

Hi Allessandro
Thanks for the reply, it confirms my suspicion. I have had dealings with Microfocus support before regarding this issue.
They insist on snmpwalks for entire network, which conflicts with both company policy to reveal sensitive information outside of company and it also puts us in conflict with GDPR rules, since we have customer information on most of the devices this snmpwalk would impact. No enhancement can be done without snmpwalk according to Microfocus policy.

So far I'm not impressed with Microfocus; the products are ok but the support is not reliable.  It's mostly relying on community requests for hardware/software support of such devices, but it's a very expensive enterprise product where support of devices should be far superior.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.