Super Contributor.. Ad1t1a99 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Disable Discovery of interfaces which are administratively down

Hi,

I want to disable discovery for the interfaces for which ifAdmin staus=Down. I tried it through nnmdisco properties file but I am unable to do so. Can someone guide me through it?

0 Likes
9 Replies
LindsayHill Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Disable Discovery of interfaces which are administratively down

Could you explain what it is that you're trying to do? I'm not quite following what you're trying to do.

NNMi discovers nodes, not interfaces. Do you want it to discover devices, but not list interfaces that are admin down?

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

NNMi discovers the netwrok devices- switches and routers and then lists all the interfaces(most of them are in managed mode) in the inventory section . You are right when you say that I don't want to list the interfaces which have been disabled by network administrators (ifAdmin status=down).

Is this possible in NNMi 9.20?

0 Likes
LindsayHill Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can configure a group of interfaces to exclude from discovery, but this is based on a specific interface group. It doesn't look like you can use ifAdminStatus as an interface group filter though.

If there are specific ranges of interfaces you want to exclude, you might be able to do that (e.g. if you knew it was ports g0/24 -> g0/48.)

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

This exactly defines my problem. There is no filter specifying ifAdmin status and hence I am not able to exclude these.

Also release notes for NNMi 9.1x define an option like that-

06/07/2012: Configure NNMi not to discover IP addresses associated with administratively down interfaces

In some cases, NNMi might (accurately) show many administratively down IP addresses. These IP addresses result in NNMi showing many undesired layer 2 connections on its maps. NNMi has new property value calledignoreAdminDownIPs. NNMi's default configuration sets this new property value to false. If you set this property value to true, NNMi no longer discovers IP addresses that are associated with administratively down interfaces. See the documentation for the ignoreAdminDownIPs property in the %NnmDataDir%\shared\nnm\conf\props\nms-disco.properties file (Windows) or$NnmDataDir/shared/nnm/conf/props/nms-disco.properties file (UNIX).

I tried it, but it too is not working. Don't know why..

Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

In 9.2 there that option is now available indirectly using <install dir>/support/nnmPollinterfaces

Run the command against a node group which will add a new capibility to each interface based on the criteria you select (admin status, connection status) whcih you then can use in a interface group to either poll or ignore (based on the criteria you set under monitoring).

Usage: nnmPollInterfaceStatus.ovpl -help | -listKeys [-csv] | -clearKeys | -deleteKeys <keylist> | -nodeGroup <group name> -ifAdminStatus <admin status> -connectionStatus <connectionStatus> [-verbosity <level>]
                         -listKeys List all capabilities that have been created by this tool -csv (optional) if specified, this will output the keys in a format that can easily be copied and pasted back into this command using the -deleteKeys option
                         -clearKeys Remove all capabilities that have been created by this tool.  This will nullify any polling policies used with this tool

Arguments
  -clearKeys: Clear all capability keys generated by this tool
  -connectionStatus <connection status>: Specify the connection status to poll.  Value values are [CONNECTED, DISCONNECTED] (case insensitive)
  -deleteKeys <key list>: Delete the specified keys
  -ifAdminStatus <admin status>: Specify the IFAdminStatus to poll.  Valid values are [UP, DOWN] (case-insensitive)
  -listKeys: List capability keys
  -nodeGroup <group name>: Specify the name of the node-group to poll
  -verbosity <level>: Specify the level of output detail.
Additional Arguments
  -jndiHost <hostname>: The server jndi host; default is localhost
  -jndiPort <port>: The server jndi port; default is 1099
  -p <password>: The password of the user
  -u <username>: The username to run this command

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
Super Contributor..

Sorry for being away. Will test it on dev server and let you know.

Thanks for the guidance.

Regards,

Aditi

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Does that mean if I say

nnmPollInterfaces.ovpl -nodeGroup Routers -ifAdminStatus DOWN -connectionStatus DISCONNECTED

NNMi will consider the such interfaces (if AdminStatus DOWN) as disconnected interfaces?

Regards,

Aditi

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

No it means it will add an addtional capibility to the interfaces which are administratively down and unconnected of "com.hp.nmm.iface.admin_connnection.status.unconnected.down"    .

There is not a way not to discover interfaces, just IP addresses. This utility gives you the necessary tools to not poll them.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
Absent Member.. bulkar Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi there. 

Your suggested solution is a succesfull workaround. Thank you.

By this way we have some more filter attributes to use in boolean algorithyms in filters. 

But why does HP insist on not adding other simple and necessary attributes like ifAdmin status and ifOperStatus (and many more for sure) to the filter configuration combo boxes? Wouldn't it be easier ? 

Of course this question is not to you AndyKemp. I just want HP to hear me that i am saying "simple is the best" .

Regards. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.