Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Disaster Recovery (DR) setup for NNMi 10.x

Dear All,

I need to know the steps involved in setting up the DR setup for NNMi 10.x version with Application Failover configuration in DC using PostgreSQL as embedded database. How will I replicate the db and all necessary files from DC to DR server. Any step by step guide available that helps me setup DR?

Thank you and look forward to your response!

Regards,

Ranganath

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Disaster Recovery (DR) setup for NNMi 10.x

Ranganatha,

The steps to implement Application failover are documented in the Deployment guide that you can find at https://docs.microfocus.com/?NOM  for the latest versions.   There is a wizard that you can run that simplifies the configuration process and automates all the file updates and consolidations required.  The DB replication along with file replication is all automated within the Application Failover feature.  If you have any other specific questions to the process then please post them here.

I hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

My question in response would be are you really after disaster recovery or just local redundancy?    DR  usually implies a second site and not the same data center.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

We already have implemented Application Failover scenario in Data Center Site (DC) and we have another site (DR Site) wherein we need to implement a separate instance of NNMi for Disaster Recovery purpose. That NNMi instance should replicate both embedded DB from Primary NNMi instance in DC along with any configuration files that are necessary to run a system. I need to know the steps involved in creating a DR instance of NNMi.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ranganatha,

NNMi does not provide any direct tools to do this outside of the processes that AF and HA use.  What you would need to do is implement a process around the use of the nnmbackup.ovpl/nnmrestore.ovpl and nnmbackupembdb.ovpl/nnmrestoreembdb.ovpl tools.  These will allow you to copy over the database and the various configuration files from the DC to the DR, but you will then need to customise the deployment of the files in the DR. 

I will leave it to others who may have implemented this in their environments to provide further details.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Then you might want to consider running what you're considering as DR as a separate active instance. That's what we do, as it provides the ability to swap over in a matter of a few minutes without the overhead doing database manipulation. Of course, there are some drawbacks when integrating with other products that use the UUID for objects and nodes, but most of the Microfocus products can handle that with multiple inventories and equivalence definitions  (CMDB, BSM, etc).

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.