Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
ramesh9 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

ESXi server connectivity to switch

Hi All

Had anyone attempted to discover ESXi hosts from NNMi. We tried to discover ESXi hosts in NNMi and it is discovered fine, however we are not able to find the connectivity to adjacent network switches.

I understand each ESXi host has its own vSwitch from where the connectivity is been done to network switches. I am able to see one Interface with name 'vSwitch0' and type as 'propMultiplex' been discovered in ESXI.

How can I identify from switch discovered Interfaces, is there any connectivity to ESXi vSwitch0 interface.

Please advise.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Freiser Herrera
New Member.

Re: ESXi server connectivity to switch

Hello Ramesh,

I hope you are doing great!

To check the connectivity from the devices you can use a NNMi tool: /opt/OV/support/NMSDataCapture/armscripts/nnmCheckConnections.ovpl "hostname1,hostname2,hostname3..."

"hostname1,hostname2,hostname3,..."
       Specify node's hostnames. Spaces before or after commas are allowed
       but not required. One or more nodes must be specified. This parameter
       must be placed after all options if any (last one)

EXAMPLE
nnmCheckConnections.ovpl  "swsh1.test.hp.com,swsh2.test.hp.com"

Regards,

Freiser Herrera

NNMi Support

0 Likes
ramesh9 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: ESXi server connectivity to switch

Thanks..

From the output I was able to conclude from switch connectivity appears to ESXi server and VMs hosted under ESXi server.

device    | port |    interface     | vlan | remote_mac_heard
sr02swmum | 5329 | port-channel1234 |  144 | esx01{vmnic0,984BE16A8E88}
sr02swmum | 4154 | port-channel59   |  141 | vm01esx01{Network adapter 1,005056B22E3C}

where connectivity protocol is FDB.

However I am not seeing any L2 connections between the switch and ESX server and VM vm01esx01.
As per my understanding FDB connections will be discovered and will not make L2 connections since XDP protocol is the favoured one.

How can I make sure NNMi will create L2 connection between switch and ESX/VM.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.