Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Effects of shutting down a monitored interface

Jump to solution

Hi

We have now observed the following in my customer's environment (it would not surprise me if I have actually tested out this scenario before, but if so, I have unfortunately forgotten the result of those tests 🙂 😞

Let's say that NNMi (10.10) monitors four nodes A, B, C and D.  A has a physical connection to B, and B in its turn has two individual physical connections to C and D, respectively. The only way for NNMi to reach nodes B, C and D is via A. 

Now let's say that someone administratively and locally turns *off* the interface on A that goes towards B. NNMi then updates the state of this interface to 'Disabled' and node A is still Up/Green. The status of nodes B, C and D, however, are changed to Unknown/Blue, because NNMi has no means of polling those anymore.

Due to the above, the monitoring of the nodes B, C and D were effectively lost, without my customer noticing it. By means of other tools, however, they did detect it after several hours so they turned on that interface again. The nodes then yet again turned Green in NNMi.

My question is: Provided that the nodes in question are *not* members of the 'Important Nodes' group, would NNMi ever have generated management incidents for nodes B, C and D? After the following config/discovery poll, for instance, or at any later stage?

BR,
Frank Mortensen
Managon AB

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Effects of shutting down a monitored interface

Jump to solution

Frank,

I don't think NNMi would have issued any Node or Interface down incidents for B, C, and D.   When analysing the scenario when NNMi found that the connecting interface had been set to be "Admin Down" or "Disabled" then it will take this to be a deliberate and therefore wanted action.

As a workaround I would suggest enabling the "InterfaceDisabled" management incident and use this to alert the operators to this action.  At least with this when statepoller detects the change it can alert the operators to it and they can either acknowledge it or investigate it.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Frank,

I don't think NNMi would have issued any Node or Interface down incidents for B, C, and D.   When analysing the scenario when NNMi found that the connecting interface had been set to be "Admin Down" or "Disabled" then it will take this to be a deliberate and therefore wanted action.

As a workaround I would suggest enabling the "InterfaceDisabled" management incident and use this to alert the operators to this action.  At least with this when statepoller detects the change it can alert the operators to it and they can either acknowledge it or investigate it.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply, Dave, and for your tip!

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.