Established Member.. HHirt
Established Member..

Enrichment on a SNMP Trap

Jump to solution

Dear all,

We would like to proceed with enrichment on a trap we get when a OSPF neighbor is getting down.

For i.e. we received emails containing such information :

OSPF Neighbor State Change: RouterId: 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, NeighborIpAddress: 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, NeighborRouterId: 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, NeighborState: 8 (full) null appeared last time Wed May 18 22:42:12 CEST 2016

Our helpdesk needs sometime to call a external provider for a faulty link, in this optic we would like to use the IfAlias contained on the corresponding L3 interface (on the NeighborRouterId) that went down to identify the link and provide this information to the provider, in this case the Interface related is :

Gi2/2 with a description like SAP 172.3724

This SAP ID is needed to identify the faulty link within the provider.

So can we based on a SNMP trap, enrich the message by looking at an interface and adding the ifAlias value before sending out the message using an automatic action?

Thanks for your suggestions

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave Young Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Enrichment on a SNMP Trap

Jump to solution

Hi Hirt,

The first thing to check is that the trap is associated with the interface - check the Source Object column and ensure it refers to an interface and not "none".   Not all interfaces related to traps get resolved to an interface.  If it does then this will work, if not then you won't be able to use the variable.   One other aspect to check is that with some OSPF and BGP traps they are issued repetitively which in turn would lead to many actions and emails.   Just check this is not one such trap.

Good luck !

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
5 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Hirt,

You can do this but its not as straight forward as enriching the trap within the NNMi enrichment configuration.  The problem is that the trap is associated with an IP address and not an interface. While you can get IP addresses for interface traps you can't do the opposite.  Also its not possible to add CAs to an IP address object so you can't use this solution.

What you will need to do is in your action script, perform an sql query in order to get the ifAlias of the associated interface for the IP address in question.   Something like the following:

select i.ifalias from nms_iface i, nms_ip_addr p where p.name='10.10.10.10' and i.id=p.iface 

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Dear Dave,

Thanks a lot for reply, in fact I digged a little bit more and find another good way to solve our issue :

OSPFIfStateChange

With this one we can trigger the interface change immediately when not relying on the usual typical management event, and most probably and $ifa associated to retrieve the ifAlias on the fly.

We need to test it properly, but should resolve our issue...

What do you think?

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Hirt,

The first thing to check is that the trap is associated with the interface - check the Source Object column and ensure it refers to an interface and not "none".   Not all interfaces related to traps get resolved to an interface.  If it does then this will work, if not then you won't be able to use the variable.   One other aspect to check is that with some OSPF and BGP traps they are issued repetitively which in turn would lead to many actions and emails.   Just check this is not one such trap.

Good luck !

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Yes indeed, I tried on the initial trap but as the source object was none. no luck...

Let's cross the fingers 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Ok sadly for us the source object is not coming with a value...in that case we should use something else...

I checked around snmp link down & up but same story here...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.