Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

'FCS LAN Errors' always zero on Huawei devices

Jump to solution

Hi

My customer has NNMi 10.0 on Linux with iSPI Performance for Metrics (I have even verified the same behaviour on NNMi & iSPI PM 10.10):

Our monitoring rules make sure that even Interface *Performance* metrics is polled for most network devices. When opening the various views in NNMi that present these metrics, it mostly looks ok. Values for input/output octets, input/output errors etc. are shown for the various interfaces.

One metric that is consequently wrong for (it seems) ALL Huawei devices, though, is 'FCS LAN Errors'. This always return values of zero. So even on Huawei interfaces where we know that there are frequent CRC errors, these go undtected by NNMi!

From the console I can see that NNMi polls the MIB-object dot3StatsFCSErrors (1.3.6.1.2.1.10.7.2.1.3) from the Ethertype MIB (RFC1398) to monitor 'FCS LAN Errors'. To troubleshoot, I have therefore run some command line polls towards a few Huawei nodes as follows:

nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl <nodename> dot3StatsFCSErrors

I have in this manner verified that dot3StatsFCSErrors do indeed return zero for all interface instances.

My customer has informed that these devices return the correct value when polling the Huawei MIB-object hwIfEtherStatInCRCPkts (1.3.6.1.4.1.2011.5.25.41.1.6.1.1.12) instead. I have tried this from the command line as well, and verified that at least for the sample device that we are working on now, this is in fact the case (a sidenote: I have, however, also seen an example of a Huawei device where this objects only returns one interface instance, although I know for sure that the device has many interfaces).

The way I understand it, the problem can be summarized as follows: HPE has chosen to use the MIB-object dot3StatsFCSErrorsvto monitor 'FCS LAN Errors'. Huawei, however, has not fully implemented the RFC1398 MIB and the devices therefore do not return values for this object.

Now the question is, how should I deal with this? 

Can we somehow (in a supported or unsupported manner..) modify the statemapper polling so that NNMi uses the hwIfEtherStatInCRCPkts for Huawei devices instead?

BR,
Frank Mortensen
Managon AB

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: 'FCS LAN Errors' always zero on Huawei devices

Jump to solution

Frank,

Unfortunately not at this time.  The problem is that there is not a completely generic interface for the device agent support and so it can't be opened up at this time for anyone to be able to modify things.  The good news is that the responsiveness of the device support team is very good these days and requests are being turned around in quite short timescales and with the use of the HPLN the delivery of the new agents is getting that much better and quicker.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Frank,

Great detective work !!

What I would suggest is that you open up a support case and provide us with the "nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl -T <device>" output from a representative set of devices you are having problems with along with your findings about the OIDs that should be monitored.  We can then log this issue with the device support team and they can look into making the necessary changes.  The area of device support is very responsive these days so I would hope we could provide a solution in a reasonable time frame - assuming no major changes are required, other than just policy mapping changes.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for your compliment and for your assistance! I will file such a case very soon.

Any comments regarding the customer being able to modify such mapping themselves, in the future? Or merely to be able to add their own device support before it is being added by HPE? I am in fact forwarding that particular question from one of their representatives 🙂

Cheers,
Frank 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Frank,

Unfortunately not at this time.  The problem is that there is not a completely generic interface for the device agent support and so it can't be opened up at this time for anyone to be able to modify things.  The good news is that the responsiveness of the device support team is very good these days and requests are being turned around in quite short timescales and with the use of the HPLN the delivery of the new agents is getting that much better and quicker.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi again,

Just a little update: My customer has had a support contract halt period because of migrating from ELA to non-ELA, but their new contract is now ok. So I have today filed a support case and requested the device support team to look into this 🙂

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.