Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Veronika_P Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Failed creating PerfSPI DB

Jump to solution

Hello,

Some errors occurred during the installation of NPS with NNM Performance for Metrics on dedicated server.

I tried to install NPS 2018.08 on Windows Server 2012 R2. 

I got the following error due initialize NPS: 

Create PerfSPI DB
Finalize action for com.hp.ov.installer.ovapp.core.ActionRunner@1492599

SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.
Running Cmd: C:\HPBTOS~1\\NNMPerformanceSPI\bin\initializeNPS.ovpl -a CreatePerfSPIDB 
ERROR: Failed running initializeNPS.ovpl
Failed creating PerfSPI DB.
Look at the logfiles in the %TEMP% directory and $OV_DATA_DIR/NNMPerformanceSPI/logs/prspi.log.
You need retry this step after the installation is complete, by running 'initializeNPS.ovpl -a CreatePerfSPIDB'

And also these two subsequent errors: 

Running Cmd: C:\HPBTOS~1\\NNMPerformanceSPI\bin\initializeNPS.ovpl -a MetricsExtensionPacksInstall 
Problem installing Metrics ExtensionPacks.
Running Cmd: C:\HPBTOS~1\\NNMPerformanceSPI\bin\initializeNPS.ovpl -a InstallDiagExtensionPack 
Problem installing NPS Self-Diagnostics ExtensionPack. 

After the installation had been completed, I ran ' initializeNPS.ovpl -a CreatePerfSPIDB ' and I got the following output: 

C:\Windows\system32>initializeNPS.ovpl -a CreatePerfSPIDB
INFO: Create PerfSPI Database.
INFO: Installed memory: 32768 MB
INFO: Reserve 4096 MB for OS and other applications leaving 28672 MB
INFO: memoryReservedForETL: Started with availableMemory of (28672)
INFO: Reserve 7168 MB for ETL leaving 21504 MB
INFO: Allocate 30 percent (6452 MB) each to main cache and temp cache
INFO: Stopping all ETL processes
INFO: Terminating "D:\HPBTOSoft\nonOV\perl\a\bin\perl.exe" "D:\HPBTOSoft\NNMPerformanceSPI\bin\Win32\..\prspiMain.ovpl": 0
INFO: File C:/ProgramData/HP/HPBTOSoftware/NNMPerformanceSPI/database/perfspi.db does not exist
INFO: Create perfspi database
INFO: Stop database
SQL Anywhere Stop Server Utility Version 16.0.0.2337
INFO: Create empty database folder: C:/ProgramData/HP/HPBTOSoftware/NNMPerformanceSPI/database
INFO: Starting utility database
INFO: Dropping perfspi database if it exists
INFO: Generate sql script with given parameters
INFO: Saving existing options file as C:/ProgramData/HP/HPBTOSoftware/NNMPerformanceSPI/database/create_database.sql.1540465601
INFO: Create  perfspi database with the sql script  C:/ProgramData/HP/HPBTOSoftware/NNMPerformanceSPI/database/create_database.sql
FATAL: Stacktrace: 0. D:\HPBTOSoft\\nonOV\Perl\a\lib\site_perl/NPS/nps.pm:1911 [NPS::npslog::FATAL()]
FATAL: Stacktrace: 1. D:\HPBTOSoft\\nonOV\Perl\a\lib\site_perl/NPS/npsini.pm:2347 [main::system_or_die()]
FATAL: Stacktrace: 2. D:\HPBTOSoft\\nonOV\Perl\a\lib\site_perl/NPS/npsini.pm:160 [main::createDB()]
FATAL: Stacktrace: 3. D:\HPBTOSoft\\nonOV\Perl\a\lib\site_perl/NPS/npsini.pm:595 [main::PerfSPIDB_actions()]
FATAL: Stacktrace: 4. D:\HPBTOS~1\NNMPerformanceSPI\bin\initializeNPS.ovpl:150 [main::CreatePerfSPIDB()]
FATAL: Failed command system("dbisql" -onerror exit -nogui -c "DBN=UTILITY_DB;UID=DBA;PWD=sql
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false;HOST=localhost"  "C:/ProgramData/HP/HPBTOSoftware/NNMPerformanceSPI/database/create_database.sql"): 2304
Died at D:\HPBTOSoft\\nonOV\Perl\a\lib\site_perl/NPS/npslog.pm line 210

I was wondering if you could help me out. I couldn't find any solution myself. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Regular Contributor.

Re: Failed creating PerfSPI DB

Jump to solution

Hello Vincent,

thanks for reply.

I fixed this error.

In the 'PerfSPI_RunInitializeNPS_CreatePerfSPIDB.txt' log I found these lines:

Could not connect to the database.
Invalid user ID or password
FATAL: Failed command system("dbisql" -onerror exit -nogui -c "DBN=UTILITY_DB;UID=DBA;PWD=sql
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.d3d;HOST=localhost"  "D:/HPBTOSoftware/NNMPerformanceSPI/database/create_database.sql"): 2304

If you look closer you will see why authentication in UTILITY_DB failed. It's because password that is used for authentication is:

sql
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.d3d

Literally.

Weird, don't you think so?

The reason is in the '%NnmInstallDir%\nonOV\perl\a\lib\site_perl\NPS\nps.pm' script.

Subroutine decryptPassword (which you can find in 'nps.pm' script) include this string:

my $decryptPasswd = `$cmd 2>&1`;

This means that the password is obtained from stdout of the command line (where the corresponding java command is sent).  But '2>&1' means that stderr redirected to stdout. I do not understand why this was done. Because every time you run java app, you got the 'Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.d3d' string in stderr. In this case this means that you adding this string to obtained password. And naturally the password becomes wrong. 

This change will fix this error:

my $decryptPasswd = `$cmd 2>nul`;

I'm wondering why only I had this error.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Vincent_M_NNM Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Veronika,

Thanks for posting

For this issue, I recommend you to open a support case to start the troubleshooting.

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Vincent,

thanks for reply.

I fixed this error.

In the 'PerfSPI_RunInitializeNPS_CreatePerfSPIDB.txt' log I found these lines:

Could not connect to the database.
Invalid user ID or password
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.d3d;HOST=localhost"  "D:/HPBTOSoftware/NNMPerformanceSPI/database/create_database.sql"): 2304

If you look closer you will see why authentication in UTILITY_DB failed. It's because password that is used for authentication is:

sql
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.d3d

Literally.

Weird, don't you think so?

The reason is in the '%NnmInstallDir%\nonOV\perl\a\lib\site_perl\NPS\nps.pm' script.

Subroutine decryptPassword (which you can find in 'nps.pm' script) include this string:

my $decryptPasswd = `$cmd 2>&1`;

This means that the password is obtained from stdout of the command line (where the corresponding java command is sent).  But '2>&1' means that stderr redirected to stdout. I do not understand why this was done. Because every time you run java app, you got the 'Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Dsun.java2d.d3d' string in stderr. In this case this means that you adding this string to obtained password. And naturally the password becomes wrong. 

This change will fix this error:

my $decryptPasswd = `$cmd 2>nul`;

I'm wondering why only I had this error.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.