Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Force NNMi to use a specific profile

Jump to solution

Hi 

Simple question

We got new Cisco 5520 Series Wireless Controllers: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2170 which are not in the latest support matrix, they appear as cisco Generic.

Our old ones  1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069 (cisco5500Wlc)  are supported (e.g. seeing all access-point).

I did an SNMP Walk and the stucture is similar.

Is it possible to force NNMi to use the profile of the old supported device ? (Instead of doing an Device Support Request)

Thanks Thomas

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

The device drivers are chassis OID specific and reside in a binary format on the system so trying to force one to be something its not is the equivient of classifying a house cat a lion... both are felines but one is several hundered kiograms heavier and much more dangerous.

It sould be an enhancement request , but the good news is that the  driver team is now combined between NA and NNMI and releases the newly created drivers every other month on the HPO live portal, no waiting for a new version of the software.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thomas,

Have you tried going to the Configuration workspace and then clicking on "Device Profiles".  You should then be able to specify the OID and the device profile you want to use.  

I would suggest opening a case, whether this works or not, and provide the snmpwalk of the device in question.  This will then allow us to double check things and then provide the device profile configuration Out Of the Box in the future.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi 

I think you cannot force NNMi to use an existing Device Profile to get assigned to a device which has not exactly this OID.

What you can do is to create a new Profile using the yet unknow OID and assign the same Device Family, Device Vendor and Device Category (e.g. Cisco Wireless LAN Solution , Cisco, Wireless Access Point).

But at the end it's just cosmentics....

I'ts all about the cababilities and they don't change. While the already supported cisco5500Wlc has has the specific WLC entries, the unsupported (Cisco Generic)  WLC  has only the LAN Switching (Layer 2) entry and therefore will not be queried for WLC specific data.

Thanks Thomas

Capabilities

CISCO WLC AccessPoint Monitoring  / com.hp.nnm.capability.card.cisco.airespacemib

CISCO WLC CPU and Memory Monitoring / com.hp.nnm.capability.metric.wlc.airespaceMib

LAN Switching (Layer 2)  / com.hp.nnm.capability.node.lanswitching

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

The device drivers are chassis OID specific and reside in a binary format on the system so trying to force one to be something its not is the equivient of classifying a house cat a lion... both are felines but one is several hundered kiograms heavier and much more dangerous.

It sould be an enhancement request , but the good news is that the  driver team is now combined between NA and NNMI and releases the newly created drivers every other month on the HPO live portal, no waiting for a new version of the software.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Thomas,

Is there anything else we could help you with on this discussion thread?

If not, would you mind marking the most appropriate post as Accepted Solution so that we could close this discussion thread?

This is because we are periodically reviewing the Open discussion threads to determine if any help is expected further. When it is no more the case, the best is to close the discussion thread by marking any appropriate post as Accepted solution.

I may proceed and do so myself if no more activity is observed on this topic after a couple of days but the best would be for you to do it yourself if no more help is expected here.

Many Thanks

Marie-Noelle

Micro Focus Customer Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Hi,

Can someone confirm the latest version has the Cisco 5508 and Cisco 5520 Wireless Controllers Device Profiles? or can these be downloaded somehow separatelly?

Thanks,
Razvan Despa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello Razvan,

if you have a running support contract and your MF login is linked with the support id of this contract, then you can download the latest device driver pack here:

https://marketplace.microfocus.com/itom/content/device-driver-packs-for-nnmi

The archive contains the current device support matrix, too. A check for support for a device type/model will always need System Object ID (.1.3.6.1.4.1....).

HTH and best regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.