Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

How do we monitor a link in NNMi

Jump to solution

In NNMi, we're monitoring individual interfaces i.e interface of routers and switches. However, a link is something associated with two devices and two interfaces. How do we monitor a link rather than individual interfaces ?

In my case, would like to monitor point-to-point Ethernet link and would like see one event for the link failure rather than Individual interface alerts.

Any help on the issue will be duly appreciated.

Thanks,

Barada

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Barada,

As you stated, a link is a connection between two nodes and their respective interfaces.  It is not an entity in itself that can be monitored, its state has to be inferred from the state of the interfaces at either end. 

If NNMi is able to access both nodes via different routes when the interface goes down then it can infer and will issue a ConnectionDown incident to indicate the link is down and not just one interface.

However, if there is only a single route to one of the nodes ( the remote one ) and this goes via the link, then NNMi can't deduce if the link is down because of a link fault or because the remote node has gone down.  In this instance it will generate a NodeOrConnectionDown incident.

So there are these two incidents that can result from the monitoring of the link, albeit it is inferred from the attached devices.

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Barada,

As you stated, a link is a connection between two nodes and their respective interfaces.  It is not an entity in itself that can be monitored, its state has to be inferred from the state of the interfaces at either end. 

If NNMi is able to access both nodes via different routes when the interface goes down then it can infer and will issue a ConnectionDown incident to indicate the link is down and not just one interface.

However, if there is only a single route to one of the nodes ( the remote one ) and this goes via the link, then NNMi can't deduce if the link is down because of a link fault or because the remote node has gone down.  In this instance it will generate a NodeOrConnectionDown incident.

So there are these two incidents that can result from the monitoring of the link, albeit it is inferred from the attached devices.

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the solution.

Is it possib;e to correlate SnmpLinkSown and SnmpLinUp traps as part of the ConenctionDown Incident ? Thsi will reduce number of incidents in the Incident browser.

Barada

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Barada,

In principle this should be possible.  You can correlate incidents and traps.  The tricky part is pulling the set together.  Check out the online help page that documents the attributes that you can use to perform this mapping:

https://<nnmihost>/nnmDocs_en/htmlHelp/nmHelp/nmHelp_Left.html#CSHID=parentFilterHelp|StartTopic=Subsystems%2FnmAdminHelp%2FContent%2FnmAdminHelp%2FnmAdmConfCausal0280ParentFilter.htm|SkinName=_HP_WebHlp_Exp_Gloss

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.