Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

ISL Interfaces between 2 Cisco switches that connect to EMS storage array

Jump to solution

We have 2 Cisco switches - fcswitchk1a and fcswitchm1a.  These are connected on interface fc1/1 and fc2/1.  When I look at fcswitchk1a I find both interfaces marked as not being polled.  I had understood NNMi would not monitor the interface if we are not watching the device at the other end.  But I am being told the device at the other end is fcswitchm1a.  They ar econnected in a channel port that is an ISL connection between the switches.

I have looked around and while I found information about ISL connections - Inter-switch Link - I am not finding information to help me understand why NNMi is not monitoring the interfaces.

Could someone point me to some type of documentation that might help me better understand what is going on here?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thank you - I will submit ticket

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hello Edward,

You need to verify if have enable in the ISL Node Group Map Settings to show L2 connections. Verify the connections are showed in the map if you not seing the node gorup map, I mean the Routers map that NNMi has by default

You might want to refer to the "Island Node Groups" in the nnm help administrator at page 337
http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00392942

And the Causal Analysis to undestand behavior of ISL group up & down:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1459502

Hope this help!

Best Regards,
Dong
HP Support
IF this or any post resolves your issue, Plz be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
To show your appreciation, click KUDOS !!!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I am having a hard time understanding where island groups relates to ISL interfaces.  Please help me put that together.  Might you be thinking ISl referred to island groups?  Or is there a relationship there I am missing?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

"You need to verify if have enable in the ISL Node Group Map Settings to show L2 connections. Verify the connections are showed in the map if you not seing the node gorup map, I mean the Routers map that NNMi has by default"

Also, I looked at the layer 2 map for the devices and I am not seeing the interfaces in question but that makes sense because NNMi has them not being monitored.  Which is the question I am trying to answer - why does NNMi have them not being monitored and how may I adjust to get NNMi to watch the interfaces.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Edward,

Basically, you need to be sure about a lot of things when the monitoring about L2 connections doesn't works as expected, and for this reason open a case with HP Support is the best option here, because it's probably need to time be investigate.

For example,  we need to see if the devices are supoorted, then see if both devices support L2 connections, and then review your configuration about the rules for the group. All of this require time an information to see, so my reccomendation and this point is open a case with HP Support, otherwise you need to follow the documents provided and re-create the ISL Group.

Last, you can test adding this devices into the Important Node group, special for this kind of problems.

J.Vindas

HP Support,

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP. If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution,If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thank you - I will submit ticket

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.